1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Dad.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ILikePie72, May 6, 2014.

1. ILikePie72

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I posted a while back about this same topic, and I actually followed through and came out to my sister! She is 100% in support of me and my sexuality hasn't changed anything between us, though I haven't seen her since :/ (we live a ways away from eachother). I know it'll take her some getting used to but she's okay with it. Now is where the real challenge comes in... I already know this is gunna be one of the biggest obstacles of my young life to overcome... My dad is a 50-something-year-old, not too by the book Catholic Mexican, who grew up as a hippie surfer in LA haha. My fear is the fact that he won't accept me, while my sister and mom say otherwise, I can't help but get over that fear... I wanted to move in with him this summer, but now my sister tells me I should come out to him before I do. That leads into a kinda selfish problem... I don't want to live at my moms anymore, and I feel like if I come out to him before I move in with him I won't be able to anymore... plz help... any advice would be awesome...

2. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
  3. Pyromaniac

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, you don't have to tell him; it is your sexuality, and--unless the universe sees otherwise--it is also your choice to come out when you feel that you are in the most supportive space. I can see your sister's advice to be completely honest before moving in with him, but I don't see where it would be required. I also can't see why, if he is still even 5% mild laid back LA surfer hippie, that he should be OK with it. it will be news to him, as it certainly must've been to you when you came to terms with his own sexuality. So you'll have to give him the time needed to get used to the idea.

The point is that you should come out when you're ready and feel prepared to do so; it seems like, since you've come out to your sister, that you might be ready, and I think this would be a good time. But never feel pressured into revealing an important part of your identity. it is your identity, and your loved ones should be honored that you share this information with them. :slight_smile:

4. CalifornIan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, this is the guy who started the thread. I forgot my old login stuff so I made a new account haha. Thank you everyone, so much. I came out to him almost 3 months ago, and he is completely fine and supportive. I'm officially 99% out of the closet (95 year old mexican grandma, decided not to give her a heart attack. haha) but thank you so much guys.