1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really want to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kurokatt, May 6, 2014.

1. Kurokatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just need advice on how to do it.
    Basically, I've gone through several stages.

First, I didn't want to come out because I wasn't sure how to identify myself. Then I came out to my closest friend. And at that point I decided that every time someone questioned my sexuality I would simply identify as gay. But it turned out to not be so simple. Examples? Examples? Examples:

- I was sitting in small groups discussing Into the Wild during English. Then the girls in my group started talking about some actor guy, the name of whom I didn't recognize. Then they said "This must be awkward for you"
    I desperately wanted to say no, that I agreed. But I couldn't. Afterward I told myself that "I hadn't told my closest friends yet, I can't just tell strangers."
    So I moved on.

- Then later, I was hanging out with a group of friends from Drama. My friend, who I suspect to be gay due to a conversation I overheard, and his friend were talking, they were discussing people who might be gay when she turned to me and asked "Are you gay." Again, I desperately wanted to say yes, but it took me by surprise and I said "Sure." My friend chimed in saying that I'm not but my answers are always "hilarious." Again, I wanted to correct myself but I gave the same excuse.

-Now I've decided to wait until I've told my friends. But whenever I want to, I can't. I don't know how. I don't want to make it some big deal where I make an announcement. I hate making things about myself. I tried commenting subtly on men. Like last weekend I was working on a physics project and my friend made a comment about Michael Fassbender being hot and I agreed. But they took it as a joke, but I didn't have the gall to reassert my opinion. Then the other day my friends and I were talking about K-pop and she mentioned "after school" by girl's day and if you're not familiar, it includes poll dancing. She made mention of how I must like the video, and I really wanted to correct her, but, once again, I couldn't. I just don't know how. :/

Sorry for the all of text xD But thank you for reading and any response you may have to offer.

2. mangotree

It sounds like you're very relaxed and comfortable with the idea of coming out but don't like it when you get put on the spot.
    If this is definitely the case, maybe it's time to do it on your own terms and maybe have some fun with it.

You could:
    * Do a google search for "Creative ways to come out of the closet".
    * Gradually and subtly start dressing a little bit "gayer" (Look up images or videos of any gay pride parade for ideas).
    * Perhaps (discreetly) decorate your belongings with rainbow badges and/or stickers.
    * Maybe carry around some PFLAG pamphlets (parents AND FRIENDS of lesbians and gays) and if your friends ask you about them, just have a little kind of speech prepared.

I don't know if this is the kind of advice that you're looking for, if not, please elaborate and ask as many questions as you like.

3. mangotree

I just remembered that PFLAG stands for Parents and Family, not Parents and Friends... oh well...
    Then again, some peoples friends ARE their family, so the advice still stands.

4. Kurokatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice.
    With the dressing "gayer." Advice.
    That is actually related to a moment that I'm waiting for. A few weeks ago a friend of mine commented on the sweater I was wearing saying that it made me look gay. And I struggled to find something witty to say like "That's what I'm going for." Or "That's good. I wouldn't want people to think I'm straight." But I got put on the spot and said "Oh. That's interesting." Which is generally my generic response for situations that make me uncomfortable.

So now I'm just waiting for moments when I can come out to my friends individully (preferably). At lunch I often have moments where I could elude to my sexuality but I feel uncomfortable coming out in front of such a large group. So I'll probably wait and come out to my friend Leah during one of the classes I have with her (probably physics because we sit in the back and I really don't need my french or APPUSH teacher's opinion at this point in time).

Also! I really don't want the whole "I already new" response. That's how my best friend responded when I told her and it just made me uncomfortable. :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening to my wordy rants. Haha.