1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jackyw1nter, May 7, 2014.

1. jackyw1nter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there, I'm 15 and want to come out at school but I don't know how to. Also I'm crapping myself over the thought of it, mainly 'cause I don't want my friends to start acting weird around me :icon_sad: , I do still want to do it though

Any advice?:help:

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are unsure of your friends reaction why not start a conversation with them about LGB issues to test their reaction. Maybe ask if they see many other students as gay or bi and see what they think about it? Keep it casual, but play close attention to how they react to the whole subject. If they are cool with it, you should find it easier to come out to them.

3. jackyw1nter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Linco ill try that tomorrow and see how they react

4. jackyw1nter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I was talking to them today, and of my three close friends two seem to be homophobic but the last one isn't. (I think they were confused as to why I approached the subject 3 times in one day)

I'm starting to think I should just wait a year or two before coming out to them, it might be a bit easier, and they might be more accepting then they are now.

-Thanks

5. Mattyboii

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You don't need to come out right now, do it when you feel comfortable and ready! I came out in my school when I was 14 and the reaction was mixed but my mates didn't care less and still don't. If you do come out, your real friends will stand by you but if you decide to keep it to yourself for a few more years that's fine too. It's all about what you feel comfortable doing and if you think it will make your most important school years awkward, don't feel under pressure to do it ��

6. jackyw1nter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Mattyboii

I will wait a bit longer before I come out, and I'll just have to see where it goes from then.
    thanks again :icon_bigg

7. Briehn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hiya, I'm also 15.

Lately, I've been thinking of coming out. I have a gay friend and my close friends seem to be the same around him. I've just taken sides on whether or not to come out now, or during the summer, so I can walk into school when we come back and be my real self. I guess it'll take a lot of planning.

8. jackyw1nter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you were to do it over the summer I would try to meet up with them somewhere and come out then, but like mattyboii said, just come out when your comfortable and ready
    :slight_smile: