1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone gone to a gay night club or bar alone before?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by charlie12, Apr 11, 2007.

1. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've gone to a gay night club alone a couple of times. I would have went with friends, but they are not gay, and I know they would not go to a gay night club or bar.

2. LorenzG1950

Hi charliedude182,

I've gone to a number of clubs alone and with friends in the past year. If you have not been to a place before, it's better to have an experienced buddy with you. That way you can keep an eye on each other until you become familiar with how the place operates. Smaller gay bars or clubs are less of a problem. I had good luck picking the slow, early evening hours and getting to meet the bartenders. They are usually more than willing to share their knowledge with you. That really helped me as a newbie last year.

3. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have gone to a gay night club by myself a couple of times. None of my friends are gay or bi so I can't take a buddy that's not gay or bi and doesn't have experience in the gay community. I wish I knew people personally that were gay or bi and then we could go to a gay night club together. The best time to go to a gay night club/bar is in the early evening hours? When you were a newbie last year at a night club, did you go right up to the bar to get a drink and/or talk to the bartenders or did you go right to the dance floor?

4. LorenzG1950

I just sat down at the bar and ordered a drink. If you run into a cool bartender, he'll introduce you to other singles, at least when business is slow. In fact, I got to know 2 bartenders at the same place and they took me to after hour places I hadn't been to before (or wanted to risk going by myself). I've also met all 3 of my boyfriends at this place.

You've just got to find a gay buddy that is willing to show you around. You'd be surprised how helpful people will be in introducing you to the local scene. Our local GLBT association even offers introductory tours of the night spots for youngsters and newbies. I'm just a bit too old for that. Our city also has a gay web site that even includes cruising areas, upcoming events, you name it. It's mostly in German but you can navigate quite easily.

http://www.magay.de/

Maybe your city has something similar. Good luck with finding a tour buddy!:thumbsup:

5. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow! You were very lucky to meet some nice bartenders. They sound like really nice bartenders to take you to after hour places. Were you nervous when you went into the night club or to the after hour places? Or were you relaxed? Did you tell the bartenders that you were interested in meeting gay and bi guys? What kinds of things did you and the bartenders talk about?

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good question, charliedude182. I went to a gay bar once last summer since I was in the area and wanted to check it out. I was very nervous, it was around 4 PM so only a few regulars were there so I felt quite out of place. I had one beer and left. I like the idea of going there with a friend, but I don't have any gay friends and am not out to my friends.

I like the idea of getting to know the bartender, but what questions should I ask him to gain the knowledge a newbie needs? I have no idea what I don't know or what I should know about the gay bar scene. Do you ask him about people to avoid? What? :confused:

7. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like were both in the same boat, mnguy. Have you been to a gay night club? I been to one a couple of times. One of those times I went I was out on the dance floor and this guy around my age came up to me and we started dancing together. Unfortunately, the guy had a b/f there with him, I was like damn. But the guy was so hot.

8. LorenzG1950

For charliedude182,

The first few times into the bar, I was a little bit nervous but Alex and Martin made me feel right at home. Once they heard my coming out story, they were anxious to introduce me to the scene. When I think back on it now, these were the first guys I had ever kissed.

At the after hours places, I wasn't nervous, just cautious. The late spots sometimes rip off customers. Knowing a bar owner/tender or local drag queen makes the sailing much smoother:icon_wink . They can also be helpful in getting you in when there are long lines.

As far as conversation goes, we've discussed everything from religion to politics and war. My friend Martin is from Iran. They would also give me the inside scoop on who is single, taken, or those I might do better to avoid. Although they are 29 and 23 respectively, they have both been "around the block" a few times and their advice has been a tremendous help. I return the favor with photos for local gay mags and web sites, or CD collections. They get my mixes and I get to hear my music when I'm at the bar.

A few times, they have introduced me to new guys or just told me some background info if I asked, like "Does he come in often? Is he still with so and so?" You'd be surprised how much you can find out from a cooperative bartender if he knows you won't blab. If I recall correctly, I never told either one that I was looking to hook up. I think it was written all over my face in bold letters.:lol:

9. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Wow! Sounds like things have really been working out for you. That's great! Are you out of the closet to all your family and friends? What was your coming out story?

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you get his name? Just because you can't date him doesn't mean you can't hang out with him and his boyfriend...

I think it's totally normal to be nervous... you just have to let yourself be as comfortable as possible. But if you're new and on your own, you generally have to make an effort to talk to people and remind yourself that rejection is not personal. Statistically, if you keep talking to people, eventually you'll run into someone you find interesting.

As for what to talk about, weather, sports, books, school, movies, politics, the club itself, "do you think that guy over there is hot?" that kind of chit-chat thing.

This is why lots of people drink--because it lowers their inhibitions and makes them less nervous. Oh yeah... if you let someone buy you a drink, do it intelligently... go with them and make sure you watch the bartender make it. I wouldn't ever let anyone just bring you a random drink. You don't have to be paranoid but it's always good to be sensible and aware/alert.

11. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I did not get his name or his boyfriend's. The music in the night club was so loud that you could not really hear people talk unless you shout. I was very nervous when I went to the night club, but when I got onto the dance floor, I was less nervous. The next time I go to a night club, I will order a drink at the bar so I will feel less nervous and more relaxed and loosened up. I should have tried to have got his name so I could have hanged out with him and his boyfriend. Thanks for giving me the tip for having someone buy me a drink. I will keep my eyes on that.

12. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    I think the dreaded gay bar is something that is best done with company to be honest. Personally i've not been to a gay bar, reason being that nobody really knows i'm gay and even then only a few close female friends would be likely to accompany me (except they don't know yet). I guess it's something I don't really want to do by myself, but will probably end up doing.

Strange thing is that if i wanted to go for a drink i could call any number of friends who'd be more than willing to come for one. Although if i were to mention "lets go for a drink at the gay bar", I don't think i'd have quite so many some how. Wonderful how the world works!

Thing is that an old mate of mine works in a gay bar, although he doesn't know i'm gay. So might just suprise him one night. Already told him that i'd come see him at the new bar he works at and without letting on to everyone that he was gay he said "not sure it's your type of bar"... how wrong is he :wink:

13. LorenzG1950

14. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I read your coming out story and I must say it's excellent. I am glad you got the courage and power to come out to your entire family and friends. I am happy that everyone accepts and supports you for who you are. I am so proud of you.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I've only been to the one bar the one time. I don't think that place would be considered a night club, more of a pool and darts place, but it was early so maybe at night the dancing starts. I'm not into dancing really, but have been "forced" into it by friends at the end of a night of drinking, at straight bars, of course. Maybe I'd be more into it being around guys without shirts! :eusa_danc

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes you'd be surprised what more you're into when that happens... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (!)

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's too bad but yeah, clubs are often extremely loud. That's what gives you the opportunity to lean REALLY CLOSE to hot guys in order to talk to them. :icon_twis

18. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    joeyconnick, what bars have you been to in Vancouver, I've been to a couple but can't remember there names.

19. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

No offense but gay bars scare me. I don't want anyone trying to "pick me up" or someone who I don't know trying to talk to me. Call me wierd but hey...

20. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt that way as well but if you go with people you know it can be fun, I think it also depends on what you like to do, dance, play pool, pick up.