1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Pride?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aurorabourne, May 9, 2014.

1. aurorabourne

aurorabourne Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay I want so badly to go to Gay Pride, but I'm not out, would that be hypocritical? Or wrong even? I just want to experience everybody coming together and supporting each other and it will probably give a massive boost to my confidence about the situation and get me a few massive steps closer to actually coming out. Also would it be totally wack to show up alone? Obviously the whole closeted thing makes it more than a little tricky to bring someone with me ha! But yeah so any thoughts on the matter, hypocritical or nah?

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go, definitely go.

It will be fine to go alone, but lots of straight people also attend pride (as relatives, friends and supporters of LGBT people) so even if you are not out yet, you are not giving anything away by going with others. It will be a fun day out, and yes, it might give you a bit of 'pride' and confidence. :icon_bigg

3. theMaverick

I'm hoping to go to my first pride this year. Maybe even with my sister. That would be cool :slight_smile:

You should definitely go.

4. aurorabourne

aurorabourne Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks guys, looks like I'm too going to pride then :slight_smile:

5. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in a similar dilemma myself. World pride is being held in Toronto this year and I have been telling myself for the last year that I'm gonna go no matter what. But not being out of the closet makes it a bit tricky. I don't have anyone to go with, since I'm not out and then I'd have to explain why I'm randomly going down to Toronto for the weekend. So ya I know how your feeling.

6. theMaverick

The same thing makes it hard for me to do stuff around here, but you can just make something up. I'm going with friends to do x,y,z, they don't have to know.

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not out, and have gone to pride...3 years in a row in one city, and 2 times in another.
    Oh, plus each & every time, I have gone alone.

Before I went for the first time, I for years wanted to go, but never did because of these 2 fears - going alone, and not being out...finally one year I decided to "just do it" in part from posting a question like this on another forum, and getting positive replies to go.

So glad I made the decision to go for it :slight_smile:

#7 SimplyJay, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely think you should go. Lots of straight people go and I think it won't seem weird to go alone. I actually went to my first parade alone. It was amazing. I actually ended up wandering into my first gay bar after the parade--it was on the route. It was crazy busy and everyone was friendly. Once people found out it was my first Pride they kind of took me under their wing and I ended up meeting a lot of amazing people many of whom I am still friends with some twenty years later. I've been to some twenty Prides since, but I will always remember that first one and the rush of relief--I finally found my people. It was actually terribly moving and I really think it was the first time that I thought yeah I can do this I can have a full and beautiful life and be gay. It always amazes me when gay people say that I shouldn't have had the opportunity to have that experience because it might make some straight people uncomfortable. Definitely go.

9. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Last year I went to my first pride. I was only out to my mother and brother by then. But sometimes you just have to press the "I don't give a sh..."-button, so I went. And it was a great experience: taking a bath in the gay crowd - feeling normal - feeling to be part of a bigger group/not so small minority - seeing that a happy gay life is possible. It gave me a huge boost. So just go and enjoy yourself! (*hug*)

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not hypocritical at all. Even if you go as an "ally" which isn't really true, since you're a multisexual. I just want you there.

Keep in mind though, that once you go to Pride, you're out. If you're not out as bisexual, you're still out as an ally. Our allies also pay a price for being out of the closet, too, and we need to acknowledge that.

11. Hyaline

To the OP, did you go and how was it?

And I don't think it is hypocritical at all. Everyone takes their own time to accept themselves. A big part of Pride is to have pride in yourself. Even if you haven't figured out who you are just yet!!!