1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a plan!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wren, May 10, 2014.

1. Wren

Hey guys, I need some advice.

Basically, it's been about 2 years since I starting thinking I was gay, and in that time I've come out to a couple of people, and then gone straight back in. I've been scared, and stressed, and its impacted my health and friendships with other people. I'm sick and tired of it.

On the bright side, I'm starting college in September (which is equivalent to junior high) and it seems like the perfect fresh start to start coming out. I want to maybe start coming out and getting more comfortable with myself over the summer, and be fully out by the New Year. I don't want my own fear to impact on making new friends, or my A levels.

I'm not considering even beginning this process before I finish GCSEs, as my current school is quite conservative, and there is a chance the friends I have now will ditch me, which would probably cause me to royally fuck up my exams. Anyone got any ideas on how I can maybe start easing myself into becoming more comfortable with talking about being gay, or some first steps to start taking? Thanksss xx

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that came out to a few already!

Anyway, I'm wondering.. Will coming out make your life more difficult than it is? If the answer is yes, I wouldn't come out. You should really think about it.

If you feel it won't harm you, or if you feel like it will improve your current situation, then you should do it I think. (*hug*) But I'm worried, since you say your school is conservative. And since coming out may be no good for your grades, I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Hope to see a reply. :icon_bigg

3. Wren

Aww, thanks for your concern man :slight_smile: The thing is, I'm going to college rather than sixth form, which mean's I'll be moving to a different school. The one I'm going to is a lot bigger (4000 students!) and it even has a LGBT group! So hopefully, it'll be better coming out there, and if the friends who are moving there with me don't like it, I can hang out with friends from other schools who are also moving there, or make some new ones (I'm pretty outgoing, so it won't be too hard.). It's almost like a university, its going to be awesome.

And about the people I came out to...well, its complicated. I'm actually not friends with them any more, for a number of reasons, and we certainly don't talk about it, so they won't be much help, unfortunately. Maybe I can rebuild bridges, but I don't know how successful that would be.

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that changes it all really! :icon_bigg I think joining the LGBT group, if you feel like it, could be a huge help!

I'm sure you would make lots of new friends! It's awesome that it's almost like a university. The diversity.. (*hug*)

Ahh, that's too bad. However, you already did a come out, so you know (at least a little) what to expect. :icon_bigg I'm not saying it makes it a lot easier, but it's not your first time anymore, so you might have an idea I think.

Good luck! :icon_bigg

5. Wren

Yep, I'm pretty much fangirling over the diversity right now. People who don't all think and talk the same way is gonna be pretty neat, ngl.

And yeah, the LGBT group sounds like a good place to start. I might check it out at the fresher's fair, if they have a stand, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough... :I

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    University is awesome! And you're going to a school which is almost like university, so I'm sure it's awesome too. :icon_bigg

Don't worry about it, perhaps you'll be brave enough once you are in your new school. (*hug*)

7. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyyy, I can totally relate to all of this!

First of all, don't rush anything. Especially not now that your GCSE's are looming. I know that was my issue, during my GCSE's; it played on my mind too heavily and caused me to not study or try as hard as I should. They're a good way to take your mind off things also. Definitely leaving it until you start college is a good idea. College is full of a variety of people, many of them more openminded than those at school, so that may be a good starting point. Just ease yourself in slowly, take your time and don't do anything until you're totally ready.

I know I missed the boat with coming out at college and had to wait until I got to university to do it, as I just didn't feel ready. Good luck for you exams, although I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine :grin:

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the college you are going to has an LGBT group, get involved for mutual support and friendship. With the support of others and extra resources you should begin to find the process a lot easier.

Good luck!