1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by optionthree, May 11, 2014.

1. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've written a coming out letter to my mum (See here), and I had this amazingly organised plan about how I was going to do this, but now I just want to do it asap and just get it over with. I'm not usually one to throw my carefully devised plans out of the window, but this overwhelming bout of confidence might be something to take advantage of.. I feel like it's more likely to go 'wrong' if I do it now though.

:help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, it's great that you have put quite a bit of thought into your letter. I think it will make a difference as it explains things nicely.

What did your coming out plan include? If you feel your coming out wouldn't go as well if you come out now, that is something to listen to. There might be some good reasons why you have that feeling. If you felt more comfortable with your coming out plan, maybe try to follow it then.

3. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I needed that advice. I think I'm going to stick to the plan, as it involves me not being in the house when my mum first reads it- I don't want to see the initial first reaction...

Edit: I'm not worried about how accepting she'll be or anything, I just think that it's a lot to take in and I'd rather not see her until it's sunk in a bit.

#3 optionthree, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sounds like you have everything in place for it to happen. Sometimes, giving parents a bit of time to read the letter, and a bit of time to themselves, can help too.

Hope it goes well for you.