1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth risking safety to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by willfultrans, May 11, 2014.

1. willfultrans

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am dying to come out to my family, on the one in a million chance they might accept me and get my the clothes I'm dying to have, however, I pretty much know this won't have. Although, I think my Dad already knows and supports me, he hasn't said anything, but both my mom and my sister have expressed what they think of anyone LGBTQ. But, a part of me wants to try, at least if I get kicked out I will live the way I want? But I'm also worried she will send me away to some place that will "make me normal" or that she might hurt me. I don't want to run away, they'll find me, but I really, really need to live life like who I am. I'm disgusted with myself because I'm proud of being a boy. I'm proud of being as pretty flamboyant as I am. I'm proud of my trans queer status. I'd be out at school if I wasn't worried about her knowing. I'd take beatings and bulling because at least I'm myself. But I'm so scared of her. I don't know what to do.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, in my view, it's not worth risking your safety. But you're the one ultimately empowered to make your decisions.

I just hope that you can find a good support network before you decide to make the more difficult comings out.

Blessings of Mara!

3. zygnomic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    in my opinion it is not worth risking physical harm to yourself, I know you feel like you are dying to tell but there is honestly no rushing in coming out, especially if it means you could be physically harmed.

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's one thing to be true to yourself, I absolutely get that, but nothing is worth risking your personal safety and security for. If you think things are bad now, think again. Putting yourself at risk could leave you in an incredibly vulnerable place - a place you can only imagine, but never fully understand until you've been there.

It's your choice, but do consider this carefully - please.