1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried to come out to my dad (sort of?!)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emmanuella, May 12, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

SO my dad is very religious (Christian). I haven't yet really attempted to come out to him directly, but a few days ago I texted him and mentioned possibly starting up an lgbt support group. I was hoping that would open up some discussion, so I can gather his opinion one way or another, but he hasn't yet replied ... :icon_eek: (He lives out of town so texting is our most common form of communication). I hope he plans on replying eventually :music:

#1 Emmanuella, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just as a matter of interest, did you say "LGBT support group" in your text?

Almost everyone on this forum will understand what LGBT stands for, but I could say it (LGBT) to some people and they would have no idea. Are you sure your Dad understands?

3. Yannick

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, he might not know what LGBT is. You might have to explain. I hope he will be ok with it. But he knows you well. At least likely. If he knows you are sane and all he accepts it if he is sane. You are still same person he knows. :slight_smile:

4. Emmanuella

Very true... two of my friends actually had NO idea LGBT stood for. But My Dad is pretty up to date, and if he doesn't know what something is, he is one to do research/google it. He isn't one to ignore a term he has never heard before.

...so if he didn't know what LGBT stood for when I sent the text, he most probably knows by now. And still no response from him...

:shrug:

5. itsjess

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Easier said than done but try not to let your mind jump to worst case scenarios! Does he often take a long time to reply to texts or is he generally quite quick off the mark?