1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over text or in person?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by giraffe, May 12, 2014.

1. giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm bi, and I want to come out but I'm not sure how. I think I want to come out to my best friend first, but we don't have a very close relationship (even though she's my best friend, we don't discuss much that's personal) so I can never figure out how to work it into conversation. Our most 'personal' conversations tend to be over text, probably because it is easier to be open that way, so I thought it might be good to come out that way.... but I don't know, is that kind of impersonal and weird? I'm fairly certain she'll be fine with it, but it still stresses me out. Is it best to come out in person? and if so, how do you work it into conversation?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Clay

It's entirely up to you. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

For me I come out to them in person, but that's only because I feel like it's slightly "impersonal" to do it through text.

But, again, there's no right way to come out. Whatever you feel is best.

3. ocguy1126

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it would be up to you. However, it might be a good idea to tell your friend first. I hate to say it, but be prepared for the worst. I've lost good friends...

4. literalmerida

I would say in person.
    I suppose I'm also biased, because when I came out to my ex-bf through text, he thought I was joking. He had (has) a major crush on me even though we had broken up. We were still the best of friends (not anymore), and we went to this anime convention together. I saw a really cute girl and we just kinda hooked up on the spot and he was super bewildered and after we left and sloppy makeouts were done, he seemed very upset. I asked him what was up, and he was like "I didn't know you were gay!" And i gave him a confused look because 1) I had already come out to him as pansexual, not just gay and 2) he seemed upset when he shouldnt have been because I didn't get that he had feelings for me still. He told me he thought I was just kidding. It was awkward for everyone.
    In person, you can really establish that youre serious.

5. Notsoshure

I did this when i told one of My friends. I dont like talking to her that much about personal stuff face to face, and she is a tiny bit homophobic.
    But it's up to you how you want to tell your friend, and you know her so you know what kind of way you should use when you tell her.
    I still think it is best telling people on person.

6. mangotree

I can't see any huge problems with doing it via text, if that's what you want to do.
    It sounds like you're both comfortable with sharing things via text.

Personally - Being a bit of an introvert, I like to construct and prepare what I want to say and how I want to say it a fair bit in advance, then read over it several times and then send it when I'm sure about everything that it says.
    A lot of people these days use text/writing as their preferred form of communication.
    If this is you (and maybe your friend's the same?) then via text, facebook, e-mail, snail mail / letter might be a good choice.

All I can suggest, IF you go ahead with it, is to make sure it's clear and precise and that there's no way that the person reading it could misinterpret it.

Know that there are risks involved though (such as the ones above) - and - depending on what kind of person she is - there's always a chance that she might show, share or forward that text to someone else. Only you would know how likely she is to do that.

Good luck.
    Peace be with you.

7. itsjess

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see no problem with coming out over text. It's no less terrifying than doing it face to face, but it does give you time to think about how you say it and read back over it so you're sure you haven't fluffed your words!
    Make sure you're clear with what you're saying, that there's no misinterpretation there and that your friend won't think it's just someone hacking your account.. (Yup. 2014 and apparently "I'M GAY!!" is a funny hack. Great.)

Make sure that, if you tell her via text/email, you don't do it while you're busy or on the go.. Allow time straight afterwards so that, if she messages you back quickly, you can reply. She'll most likely have questions and be confused but it's not necessarily due to her being uncomfortable, a lot of the time it's just ignorance! Be patient and remember that if she has a bad reaction, it's not you that's at fault, it's her.

If you decide to tell her in person, you could work it into conversation next time she asks you about your love life or whatever? There'll be lots of opportunities even if you don't want to make it a terrifying big deal like "HEY I NEED TO TALK TO YOU...".. That could just be unnecessary stress for both of you! Hahaha

If she reacts well then I promise you the stress of figuring out a way to tell her will be totally cancelled out by the relief afterwards :slight_smile:

Good luck!