1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-polar parent on homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuseduser99, May 13, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

I've noticed is that my mom seems to be bi-polar on homosexuality. One minute she's all like "it is what it is. It's fine. They should be themselves". The next minute she's like "it's just so weird". The news was on, and they were talking about Clay Akein (American Idol runner up). He's running for Congress in NC, and he won the primary by less than 400 votes. His opponent died yesterday, in the midst of a re-count. My mom said "who wants Clay Akein? Him and his gay self". She said this in a negative tone. Yesterday, she was all like "if you're gay, just accept yourself. I'll find it weird, but what can I do?" (She has her suspicions that I'm gay. She flat out asked me yesterday and I neither confirmed nor denied it).

Does anyone else have a parent like this? It's just so confusing and annoying hearing my mom be supportive then not supportive (or at least negative towards) of gays. :bang:

2. Linux Lenny

I think that not all the people will be supportive , but to be honest you can't judge her until you come out to her maybe she would amaze you with her support .

Just a thought :slight_smile:

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad is kind of like this. One moment he talks about cute girls with me and acts like accepts my sexuality, another moment he makes slightly offensive jokes and another moment he acts like my sexuality is just a phase.

4. WearyWanderer

If I were you, and if you feel you're ready, then I would just come out to her. I don't think she's being bi-polar or anything. It's only natural for some parents to think it's weird. Keep in mind, when she was your age, homosexuality was still largely unaccepted by society. Support for gay marriage seemed like a very radical stance to have (hell, this was the case 10 years as recent as ten years ago). Today, things have greatly changed. And it will naturally take some people some time to change their viewpoints as well.

BUT while your mother says that she might find it weird, she also seems to make it clear that she would accept you. She tells you to accept yourself! And also, you said she might suspect you for being gay. Well, if you think her reaction might be bad, don't you think she would be treating you differently right now? It may be weird in the beginning, but people change. She might see it as weird now, but over time she will see it as normal. She is already trying to change her views to more positive ones.

All just my opinions, of course. Approach the situation the best way you think would be appropriate.

5. newfish

^This. She'll accept you, which also means there shouldn't be any financial repercussions, and your mother will see, through you, how normal gay relationships are until it is just as everyday as straight relationships.

6. mangotree

Parents are weird.
    I think you've just got to remember that they're human, not perfect, they don't know everything and they have faults, they can only do their best.
    Sometimes their best is changing their mind all the time or saying the wrong things or mis-reading situations or mis-interpreting someone elses feelings.

There's nothing wrong with being seen as weird, unusual, different, odd. Just look at Lady Gaga.
    It's possible to see something as weird and accept it at the same time.

Peace be with you.

7. confuseduser99

I hope she does. I think she will, but I'm worried about dealing with my dad. He's more hardcore on this issue.

8. WearyWanderer

Just try to tell her to not tell your dad, as you feel you should tell him something like that yourself and want to approach the situation more gently with him.

9. confuseduser99

That wouldn't work. She's a blabber mouth and will definitely tell my dad.

10. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like my step mom is a little bit like this. She has also straight out asked me if I'm a lesbian. Which I responded with no, because I'm not. But I didn't elaborate.
    I did hear her explaining transgender and bisexuality to my brother the other day. My brother found it all weird, but he's younger and he hasn't really been exposed to it, so he doesn't really understand so it makes him uncomfortable. My stepmom on the other hand said that she was convinced that that's the way people are born. I guess I'm going to take that as a good sign...

11. confuseduser99

Ditto. She's said that they're born that way, but the other day she was like "if you're gay, I can't do anything. That's what you choose". I then told her "gays don't choose that". She asked "how do you know?" I immediately made up a story that my gay friend told this to me after having a conversation about being gay.

Woo! GTAers unite! :slight_smile:

12. WearyWanderer

Well, how do you think he would react? Also, if your mom is supportive, then she might be able to be supportive in case of a bad reaction.

13. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally said something like that to her too!!

Yay GTAers!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :lol: I didn't even notice that to be honest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Cool!!! :grin:

14. confuseduser99

I don't know. I think he'll take it hard at first, but eventually come around.

15. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just curious, what does GTAers mean? The only thing I can think of Grand Theft Auto (like the gaming series). :lol:

Considering your previous thread, I think your mom would be more accepting than you might think. She might make some random comments like that now, but if you came out fully, I think it would stop. BTW, how does your sister think your mom and dad will react?

16. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol! I was thinking that too when I was writing it :lol:
    But it means Greater Toronto Area :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    haha - that makes more sense! I was thinking you played GTA online or something. :lol: :lol:

18. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have played it and I do own it, but unfortunately that wasn't what it was referring to :lol:

19. confuseduser99

HAHA on the whole GTA thing!

I think you're right. I think she'll be accepting. I'm just getting myself ready to make the move one day. Probably sometime in late July, after our family vacation/roadtrip to California. Wouldn't be able to deal with coming out before hand since it would be a big topic for conversation throughout the roadtrip.