1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a straight person who likes you

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by resu, May 15, 2014.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so normally I've flown under the radar of most girls because I act asexual and not romantically/sexually interested in them. But, somehow a girl in my graduate school program became attracted to me last year, to the point that we went out for coffee twice. I was pretty oblivious until she called and offered to go eat dinner ... just the two of us. I just dropped the ball and avoided her to not give wrong impressions. I couldn't say I was not interested because I worried it would hurt her self-esteem (she's slightly big).

But, now that I've sort of come out to another person, I really want to talk to this girl and come out to her. However, that will also mean disappointing her, which I'm also afraid of. So, for those who knew a straight person is crushing on you, what did you do?

2. mangotree

Hey, I had a similar experience a few years back.
    I thought the girl knew I was gay, but I was wrong. Obliviousness is my middle name.

I just started a TAFE course (a college type thing in Australia) and a girl offered to give me a lift home, so I said yeah. She then wanted to catch up to study. Then dinner. Then movies (The movie was 'Valentines Day'... how thick am I). She then invited me to her birthday party and I went along. For the first several hours of the birthday party all of her friends kept coming up to me and asking "What do you think of _______ ?" etc. etc. Then the penny dropped.
    I basically just told her friends (and then quickly after, the girl herself) that I was gay.

She ended up being a bit mad at me and ignoring me for the rest of the night. Probably a mixture of emotion and alcohol. We were still friends briefly after that, but I realised that the study we were doing wasn't for me so I left, and basically never saw her again.

I don't think this helps you. Sorry.

I guess there's a 50/50 chance that she'll be mad at you, and a 50/50 chance that she'll want to be your fag hag. I'd take the risk.

Peace be with you mate.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just don't encourage her in a romantic direction. You could also "come out" in a more general way, if you are willing to do that, which will explain to her indirectly that your lack of interest has nothing to specifically do with her. It will also put you out there for finding someone of your own gender, which at 25, is high time to do so. Usual methods such as Facebook status are always a place you can start informally. At the very least it will get you some gay cruise and designer underwear pop up ads. LOL