1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out today and I'm scared.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Deadellaastra, May 16, 2014.

1. Deadellaastra

Okay, so a substantial amount of people know that I like girls, but not that I am per-say lesbian. Well, today a friend asked me to write a poem for her English project for gay rights. I said yes and I wrote it. Well she asked if she could put my name on it and I said sure. So now I am scared because a class full of juniors know and I don't know exactly who they all are. So yeah, should I ask her how it went or wait until monday?

2. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If it is going to worry you, I would ask her as soon as possible.

3. mangotree

Wow, things have really changed in high school since the 90s. We didn't even talk about homosexuality in personal development / health / physical education classes let alone English.

It sounds like there was something in you - when you were writing it and saying yes to putting your name on it - that was okay with 'coming out' through a poem to a group of people that you don't know. Maybe it felt a bit liberating at the time.
    Is there any way that you can recapture that feeling? or as time goes by, are you regretting it more and more?
    If it's the latter, it's probably best to ask your friend to take it out.

Peace!

4. itsonlyrelative

If it is causing you anxiety, then you should ask her about it. I think it is really great that you are able to express your feelings through your writing by the way, I know writing has been a huge coping skill for me in the past.