1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing to come out later

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Black Swan, May 16, 2014.

1. Black Swan

I think I want to wait and come out later to my friends and extended family. I'm out to my Dad, Mum, sibling, Grandma and one (pan) acquaintance. I don't really see the need to come out to the people who matter the most to me - my friends - until I leave high school. I've only got a couple of years left really, I'm probably not going to date anyone before I leave. I'm very close to my friends and they are an odd, quirky, mostly open minded mixed bunch of kind souls who I'm pretty sure would take it well. Yet I feel I should wait, until they and I have both matured. They are actually very mature, but I just absolutely terrified of the reputation I would get as things like this inevitably spread around the schoolyard, what's more I honestly can't see the point. My point is, will this attitude make it easier or harder for me to come out later? Am I doing the right thing, or merely prolonging the unavoidable? :icon_ques

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no right or wrong time to come out, you should do it when it feels right for you.

I think you've identified some real issues that might arise from coming out while you are still at school and you are right to consider these things carefully. Your education is too important. If your friends are true friends, it will not matter if you come out to them now or later.

I think you've already crossed the biggest hurdle in telling parents/family members.