1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shouid I come out while on study abroad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ohnobro, May 17, 2014.

1. ohnobro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    **Title should be "should" not "shouid"**

Hey EC,

In July I'm going on a month-long study abroad trip to Argentina. I'm really excited to go, but there's one thing I haven't really worked out yet.

Should I come out?

I was leaning towards yes, because gay marriage is legal there and studies show they are supportive, and also the only person who would ever have the chance of telling my family is my best friend I'm going with, who I was planning to tell anyway sometime within the next few months. I'd just try to gauge my host family's reaction to homosexuality before I come out to them.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid or anything, but I'm really worried about if information about my sexuality were to reach my parents. They would not take it well. On the other hand, if I came out I would get to experience living out like I can't do at home, and I seriously doubt my parents would find out, since they can't speak Spanish.

What do you all think?

2. tulipinacup

I say go for it. You are planning on coming out to your best friend anyway so the only problem you will be facing if he/she tells you your secret to your parents.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come out there, and if it works for you, stay out when you get back.