1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jessm14, May 18, 2014.

1. jessm14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys

Im a 20 yr old lesbian who has just moved states a few months ago and would really like some advice on coming out to my family and friends back home.

When I moved to this new place for uni I just told everyone straight out when I got here that I was gay as I was sick of pretending to be straight back where I came from and really wanted to experience how being openly gay would change my life and relationships with new people. I have found it really good and no one I have met has really had an issue with it so far.

So my problem now is that I want to tell my family and friends back home. As I am away from them I cant really do it face to face so I was wondering how other people in this situation went about it. As I know there is always the option of over the phone or in an email. but I think I will find it abit harder not actually being there to see their responses but then also it may also be good to give them their space to take it all in.

My other issue is that I have a very close friend from back home that I have had strong feelings for and have had them for about 7 years and I am totally mortified of her knowing im gay. But in saying that I know if I tell all my other close friends then she will find out but the idea of that is killing me. I have already told two friends from back home who were fine with it and I know that they haven't told anyone else.

So I was just hoping I can get some advice off you guys to help me in my situation

THANKS HEAPS (!)(!)

2. JohnB

First of all, REALLY wish I did this when I moved to a city for uni, I knew no one there, and would've felt more freer if I did. Like your courage, you saw the opportunity, and you ceased it. Kudos.

Second, main thing with families is that they think about your well-being, especially parents of gay offspring have the fear of what the world will treat them, if they know you already told people over there and you had no problems, then I'm sure they won't worry or get mad. As for your best friend, all I can say is there is a good chance they will feel closer you that you told them.