1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Family Suspicions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuseduser99, May 18, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

My mom and dad are yet again suspicious of me being gay.

I can't remember how it came up, but we were talking relationships and how I don't have a girlfriend (and how I've never had one). I think I may have originally brought this up. Anyway, it got to the point where my mom said "you're just always so cold. You don't connect with people. Why? Is there something wrong? Is something bothering you? Do you want to get something out and tell us something?" I said no, and that I'm just that way.

My dad got into the conversation. I sneakily started asking them some questions, trying to bring it into the conversation like "what if I don't want a girlfriend?" My dad jokingly said "why? You want a boyfriend?" I said no. Then I eventually asked "what if I don't want to get married? I'm really selfish. What if I don't want to have kids?" My mom shrugged it off. My dad said "well, then you're a waste. You're my only son. You're the one to carry on the family name." I said "yeah, but what if I didn't? What would you do?" He then said "well, then you're a waste. I should have just aborted you then". That hurt a bit when he said that, but I brushed it off and didn't show my feelings. I then said, "well, there's more to life then just having kids. I want to make a name for myself one day. That's more important to me than having kids". My dad kept on saying how carrying on your genes is most important in life.

Eventually, the conversation went on. My mom said "I know my children. I can read all of you. You just lack confidence in finding a girlfriend. You're shy, and because you aren't the most fit, you're even more shy". That's actually true, but with guys, and I said to my mom "that's true, but you can't read your children. You have no idea what's wrong with me". She said "what? You're gay? I've thought about it before and wonder about it quite often because you've never been with a girl". She also asked me "do you see anyone out there that you're ever attracted too?" I said "don't worry, it's none of your business". She asked again and I said "yeah, but why does it concern you?" She then said "well that's good, at least you find some people attractive".

Towards the end of the conversation, my dad said "you're just questioning our values. You're digging into our values to see what we think about something". I then said, "no. It's important to question your values to see why you really feel the way you do about something. That's why I'm questioning your values. I've questioned my values many times. It's healthy to do so". My dad said "you just want to see what our values and beliefs are so you can come out and tell us that you're gay". He said this in a serious, yet cynical tone. My knee-jerk reaction was "umm... No... I'm just asking you what y'all think about things". The conversation ended pretty quickly after that. My dad had to head off for work (he was already dressed for work). My dad ended the conversation with "I wish I could stay home and talk all day. We'll all chat as a family tomorrow" (it's a holiday tomorrow where I live). I said "talk? Not me. There's nothing to talk about". He then said "well, to your sisters. They're growing up now, so it's good to talk about relationships and stuff, so they don't go fooling around with people and such".

My sister told me after (the sister that I came out to) that she thinks that my dad knows.

What do y'all think? Do my parents pretty much know that I'm gay but are just denying it, and waiting for me to say something? This is so frustrating. I feel like I'm just keeping this all away from them. I'm not ready to come out to them just yet, but I may do it soon.

#1 confuseduser99, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think they know and are trying to segway the conversation to a point where you yourself tell them that you are gay.

3. Kabuki

I believe they are pretty sure about you being gay. They even know why you bring up this sort of conversations, they are not in denial at all. I'm pretty sure they are just paving the road for you so that you can come out without the awkward "mom... I have something to tell you, blah blah...." conversation.

Of course they can't make you come out if you are not ready, but they certainly are trying to let you say it. I say take the chance you are given, many would like to have our parents to start the conversation instead of us.

Good luck man, I hope you can say it to them soon.

4. Clay

Honestly, from that it doesn't sound like your parents are denying it. This part here..

"You just want to see what our values and beliefs are so you can come out and tell us that you're gay."

..sounds about right. I mean you even challenged your mum by saying she can't read you, and then she immediately guessed you were gay.

It doesn't sound like your parents are denying it. It sounds like they already know and are waiting for you to come out, but you keep denying it.

5. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Before I post anything else, I just want to say...

Holy shit, what the fuck? Who says that to their kid? No offense, but your dad sounds like a real jerk. :frowning2: I'm sorry you had to hear that.

Anyways, about the rest... I'm pretty sure your parents are 99% sure you are gay, and you've basically said as much to them before. I know you were wanting to wait until your trip was over, but would you rather the trip be filled with them talking about how you are gay or constantly asking if you are gay or like any girls? :/ You should come out when you feel like you are ready, though. I think your mom will be supportive - not sure about your dad. He'd likely come around.

6. confuseduser99

I think he said that out of fear and anger that I may be gay. I know he didn't really mean it, especially since he's pro-life. It didn't hurt that much, it was more of a shocking sting to me.

You make a good point about the trip. I'm just so torn here. I think I'm going to think about it all later tonight. I'm actually off the the mall. That same mall where they guy works. I dp actually have to go to that store to exchange something. This will be... interesting. Probably a little awkward too (more like a lot awkward :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Your dad is an asshole! How could he say such a thing? Anyway, you handled that really well. You come out on your own terms, don't let anyone force you out of the closet. You might want to tell your mother first, she seems more accepting.

8. confuseduser99

Yeah, the plan is that I come out to my mom first.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After reading that posting, I'm very sure they know. They just want you to confirm it, BUT don't feel bounced into it. You have made a lot of progress and it's up to you to decide when the time is right to tell them. Keep it on your terms.

10. IG88

I agree. Your parents are making educated guesses, and they're on to you. Plus, your dad is a dick. Seriously wtf.

11. themoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like they know. And @confuseduser99, my parents responded with the words "it's like having a future torn away" when I told them. Some people are unfortunately very homophobic and assume that being gay means no future immediately :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Your mum sounds like she would be pretty cool about it, whereas your dad sounds quite a bit like mine and would likely take a long time to come to terms with it. My two-penny's worth would be to maybe confirm it to your mum but do it when your dad isn't around and won't be for a few hours so that you can talk things through with her and answer any questions she'll have. You can see if she thinks your dad would be able to handle it, or if she thinks it would be more prudent to keep it quiet from him :slight_smile:

12. confuseduser99

It's just going to be so hard saying the words to them. Like I want to say it, but it feels like it's never going to come out.

13. WearyWanderer

Maybe you could have your sister be with you when you do it? Just so you know you'll have some support.
    Listen: they know. At the very least, they strongly suspect. I know it's hard now, but I think you will be glad you told them.
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

14. confuseduser99

I think you're right. I'm working on building the courage to tell them.

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They know; they just want you to say the words so they can be justified (in their own minds) acting like homophobic jerks, although your father has jumped the gun on doing that.

I don't know why people act like this towards their own children. Why they don't show sympathy for the likely tougher time you are going to have in life. Why they don't reassure you that they will be there to help you however they can, because they love you. Maybe they will eventually come around and realize this is not something you chose, but something that likely is derived from some properties of their own which they passed on to you. Whatever their problems are, there is nothing wrong with you, and I am sure you would have told them already if they weren't acting so ignorantly as parents. Maybe you should get some PFLAG literature ready for the day you decide to confirm what they already know, and a copy of "Prayers for Bobby" so they can realize how stupid and sometimes dangerous it is to deny reality and put additional stress on gay children.

16. confuseduser99

LOL! My mom literally just said out loud to me "I remember when you never used to like gays. You used to be creeped out by them" (I used to be homophobic when I was really closeted and in self-denial). My sister who I came out to and myself said at the same time "that's so random". My mom then said "why does your sister defend everything you say?" She said that as if she thinks we're hiding something. It's like this gay topic comes up daily nowadays...

17. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That's your cue to say "She defends what I say because she knows I am gay, and she loves me just as I am, like you and Dad are supposed to do, but apparently can't."

18. confuseduser99

I also feel like my dad is being hypocritical. I said to him how money is the most important thing in life, and he said "no, it's love". Well, if I happen to love a guy, would that now make it wrong.

OMG!!!!! My dad is literally reading the bible passage about how a man should not lay with another man right now (I'm in my room. He's reading it out loud to my mom downstairs in the living room).

19. mangotree

There's a high chance that they know you're gay and they're trying to get used to the idea (your Mum is succeeding quicker than your Dad).
    It's often the case that parents of gay individuals know before the gay individual does.

20. garudamon11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well for me I would've just told them straight away that I'm gay when your mother hinted at it. It seems very obvious that they know about it, maybe you should just come out now in hopes that your dad will stop rattling and perhaps accept the situation.