1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on when to come out to family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pyromaniac, May 18, 2014.

1. Pyromaniac

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that there isn't one "right" time other than when is the right time for you, but I've got a weird situation with my pretty homophobic family. I want to come out to them, and they live like a 12 hour drive away. I only see them like three times a year, and they are visiting me soon for like a week. I know they aren't going to react well at all (based on other stuff I've told them), but the time has come for me to be honest with them.

I'm not sure if I should tell them before, during, or after their visit. Part of me wants to tell them before, so I can get it off the plate. But I know that might ruin their trip. The easiest thing would be to tell them after they leave and would result in less stress and drama. Not sure if anyone has any perspective on this?

I've asked similar questions, and I've really appreciated all of your insight. I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for everyone here (*hug*):thumbsup:(&&&)

2. everyonesfriend

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If I were you, I would go in the middle. While they're there. If you tell them face to face you might be more stressed but you can hopefully talk them into being even just a little bit supportive. Idk if this is even a little bit helpful at all but I saw nobody commented so I thought I'd try to help. I hope it goes well for you!

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would do it towards the end just in case it ends up being unpleasant, but the important thing is to just do it period. The longer you wait the more difficult it becomes -- I'm 27 and at this point I don't think I'll ever do it. Don't allow yourself to end up in the same situation.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look for or make an opportunity to tell them a few days after they arrive, so they won't be travel-tired, and so they have time to do a little bit of digesting and maybe some question asking before they leave.