1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Telling my parents about genderfluidity

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShiroKage, May 18, 2014.

1. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been trying to drop hints that I'm genderfluid, but as a cosplayer my parents don't seem to get the hint when I crossdress (they just think "oh, there she goes again, dressing up as a boy, probably having to do with anime"). But I've asked my dad what he thinks of trans* people and he thinks that we're just confused. :dry: Don't get me wrong I mean, he's a great dad, he even accepted that I'm bi (which I might actually just be attracted to women, but that's a different matter). He also doesn't see how sexuality and gender identity are different. My sister knows everything and she's really supportive, so one down. I don't know how my mom will react. I want to get a chest binder (another hint but my parents think cosplay) and I actually want to have top surgery eventually. I also want short hair, but literally everyone (even the people who know) want my hair to stay long. Anyway, how do I tell my parents that I'm genderfluid and that it's real?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents have a similar view on trans* people, and since I'm going to have to come out to them eventually (probably), I've thought a lot about what I'm going to do. We seem to be in similar situations, so hopefully, what I've thought about will help you out.
    Accepting trans* people in general is a lot easier for parents than accepting that they have a trans* child, so before telling your parents that you are trans*, I would teach them what they need to know about trans* identities and make sure that they are accepting of trans* people before you come out to them (I plan on finding a couple good websites for my parents to look at). That way, they will know your identity is real before you come out to them, so your coming out doesn't have to involve convincing them to accept trans* people. To me, it just seems a lot easier to do it in two steps.
    After that, you just sit them down and tell them, and hope that they're accepting.
    Good luck!

#2 darkcomesoon, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  3. ShiroKage

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I have brought up the subject with my dad once or twice, but I don't think he totally gets it. My sister is totally in on it, so if she's in a good mood she might help me. Th e big problem is my mom. She didn't like it when I told her I have an attraction toward women, so I don't really know how she'll take the news that I'm not one myself. Once again, thank you for the advice!