1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduction and advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nightstep, May 19, 2014.

1. Nightstep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone. I'm glad to have found this forum again (though I cannot seem to find my old account...) Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone who helped me in the past. I also made it through my first year of veterinary school and I'm officially in my second year now.

I finally realized a few years ago that I was attracted to women and at that point was still thinking I was into men. I came out to a few friends and my mom as Bisexual. Now, the past few months, I've even been questioning that... and I'm fairly certain I'm a lesbian. I just don't feel any kind of attraction towards men. I've talked to a few friends about it, and they've been supportive, but I'm just not sure how to go about talking to my mom. She was 100% supportive before. We never really discussed much, either. I also want to eventually come out to the rest of my family, I'm just not sure the best way to go about doing that. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Oh also some other good news, there is a lovely lady that I am madly crushing... keeping my fingers crossed things work out!

2. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dear friend

First off welcome. Second ask your mother "remember when I said I was bisexual?" When she says yes tell her that you love has left the male station and is going to the female station(sorry I love trains). Talking should be easy after all she is your mother, you should be able to talk to her without problems or maybe talk about problems. Finally me an my new husband are crossing our fingers about your crush and we wish you the best. If you need anything clarified just ask.

Welcome
    -Dex

3. mangotree

Hi Nightstep, welcome back.

I did the same thing, came out as bi and then again a bit later as gay.
    I'm pretty sure my mum wasn't holding onto any hope of me finding a girlfriend and having a "normal" life so it wasn't a big shock to learn that I didn't want a girlfriend.

I wouldn't change the way I did it though, my desires/dreams became a lot clearer from being out as bi. And more importantly it helped me to realise what I didn't desire; a "normal life".

I'm sure your Mum will understand :slight_smile:
    Good luck with your second outing and with the cruising.

Peace be with you.

4. Nightstep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Dex and Mangotree for your words of wisdom!

I just got off the phone with my mom a few minutes ago and told her. She said she already knew from back when I came out to her as a bisexual. That's when I was still uncertain, but I guess moms always know. One family member down for now... and more to come later on this year.

5. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's great to hear. Good luck with future tellings

-Dex