1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They seemed like they'd be ok but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Really, May 19, 2014.

1. Really

Does anyone have any stories about telling people who you thought would be receptive in a positive (or at least neutral) way but had a reaction you weren't expecting? What was it and how did you handle it?
    I expect my family would be fine but am a bit wigged out by the fact that once you expose this part of yourself, everyone's minds will immediately turn to thoughts of you having sex. And since I wasn't before and am unlikely to be anytime soon (if history teaches us anything), I'm not even sure it's necessary for now.
    And dating will be pretty slow coming, too.
    Thoughts?

2. mangotree

I've only heard of and experienced the opposite.
    Thinking that they'll react badly and having them be either fine or oddly excited about it.
    Or thinking they'll react badly and being right.

As for the 'turn to thoughts of you having sex' thing, you can't be sure that they'll think that, but you also can't control their thoughts if they do.
    They might imagine you with a girlfriend or just kissing a girl for all you know.

Sorry I can't help you with the expecting good / receiving bad scenario.

Hope someone else here can.

Peace be with you.

3. Kamina

Welp I thought that my friends would be more surprised, and some were, but one said that "You flame with the fires of homosexuality". So that was funny and unexpected.

As for the thinking of you having sex thing, I don't think anyone will ever bring that up to your face and you can't really control people's thoughts so why worry?

Dating... well I was always too awkward/not interested in guys to date when I was younger and now that I'm out, to just my close friends, at a catholic school I doubt I'll start dating until next year. It's never really been an over powering issue for me though. I mean it will happen when it does. But I would like a girlfriend. :lol:

If you want to come out to people you can always just casually mention that you are open to the idea of dating a girl if it comes up in conversation you don't have to declare yourself as lesbian or Bi or what have you.