1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NoStoneUnturned, May 19, 2014.

1. NoStoneUnturned

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey all :slight_smile:

So I'm ready to come out to my parents, but I just can't seem to put myself in the mindset to do it. I'm like 99% certain that they'll be positive about it but the issue is more with me. The thing is I've never had a relationship and I don't know any other gay friends or anyone really either. I feel like being closeted is holding me back from living my life and has sort of made me distanced from people (and a little boring frankly) because I can't just be me and I don't want to 'slip up' or anything :/

Another thing is that I feel like it's negatively affected my social skills and made me even shier than before haha

So I feel like I can't 'put myself out there' because I don't want someone to just find out, I want to tell them :rolle:

I'll just put it out there that I don't intend on coming out to the entire world just yet, more my immediate family and probably a few close friends . Another thing, I'd be really interested in hearing how some of you came out or plan to, like whether you wrote a letter, or just sat both your parents down, or told them one by one, or whatever hahaha.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated :icon_bigg

2. tulipinacup

I haven't come out of my parents yet but I applaud you for doing so :slight_smile: It sounds like there's not going to be any problem with it :slight_smile:

If it makes you happy to come out to them then so be it. Good luck and keep us updated!

3. NoStoneUnturned

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your support :slight_smile:
    I think I might go for it in the next couple of days so will keep you posted :slight_smile:

4. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out to my parents a couple months ago and they took it better than I had expected:slight_smile: Good luck by the way!!:slight_smile:

5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean. I want to tell my parents but every time I have the opportunity I feel like a lazy guy who decided he is gonna climb Mt. Everest. I'm standing there looking at the mountain thinking"Yea that's not gonna happen".

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

6. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck buddy

7. JohnB

I have the feeling also. Exactly am affected by the same way in social life and everything you seemed to describe. Except for the friends and family, I basically just have family out here. I feel yah. Right now my feeling is there's absolutely no point in holding back for me anymore.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Martin Luther King

8. NoStoneUnturned

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, didn't get a good chance today but here's hoping for tomorrow :slight_smile:

Thanks! :grin: That's awesome, congrats! :slight_smile:

Haha yep, that's exactly it! Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks man :slight_smile:

It's so frustrating, hey? :/ And that is exactly how I feel. I love the quote, btw :slight_smile: Thanks

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Decided to wait until Friday evening to tell my parents (together). I thought it would be a good idea to leave the weekend free so they had time to think about it and ask any questions. 'd rehearsed in my mind what I wanted to say and eventually the words came out.. and so did I :slight_smile:

As for meeting other gay people, don't rule out the internet. You don't even have to meet people for sex/relationships, just for friendship, if you want. It's not the case that everyone online is after a quick hook up for sex, but you do need to be clear (and firm) about what you want.

I notice you are 19 and living in Sydney. Are you working or still in education? Many colleges and universities have gay friendship/social societies and this might also be a way of meeting other gay people for mutual support. I'm sure a decent city like Sydney will give you opportunities for meeting like minded people.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

10. NoStoneUnturned

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Linco :slight_smile:

I think I'm gonna wait until there's a good couple of days for them to digest it too, that sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

Thanks for your other advice as well, I'll definitely take that on board, seeing as I'm at Uni still.

Thank you :grin: