1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I overreacting a little bit?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

This might be a little petty but bare with me please. :slight_smile:

We went school shopping today. (WOOT)
    And first we went to JCPenny and I didn't really like anything there except some jeans. I prefer AE, Hollister, and Aeropostale and some stuff at Dillards. And really its not all that much more expensive than JCPenny.

I like having the logos on my polos ya know. And they're the same price as the Arizona polos that shrink, and look cheap even though they're not all that cheap.

So I get the clothes I want because my parents are AWESOME and then it came to the shoes. I wanted Sperry's. On the Dillards website they were 75 dollars in the store they were 107. And they bought them for me! They didn't want to at first but I really wanted the shoes so I offered to pay for some of them (I only had 60) so they just bought the shoes and I didn't have to pay a dime. (Told you my parents were awesome)

We get in the car and my step dad says something like "what happened to Devan? he's changed..." or something like that and then my mom goes "its your fault he's spoiled..." or something like that and then i'm like "yep and i love ya for it *big smile*" and then they keep talking about how i used to not worry about material things and what not and then i said "its not like i turned into a monster or anything" and they didn't say anything!

That hurt my feelings a bit. I can't tell if they just weren't paying attention to me or if they really think I'm a brat.

I offered to pay and I said thank you!
    That's not bratty/spoiled person behavior.

I'm just picky about the clothes I get because I really don't get new clothes all that often... Christmas, Birthday, and School shopping basically. Plus I'm in high school so looks matter more than they should...

What do you think of this?

2. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

I'd like to say that you have the most giving parents i have ever heard of. I've never worn a piece of clothing including shoes that cost more then $20 and have no idea what those brand names are but if you like how they look thats great. As for being spoiled i would say yes but i think it depends on your income and spending habits. You dont seem bratty about it so dont worry about it, just be grateful and go through your school year looking sharp.

3. Andrew

Uhm.. Maybe you are overreacting a bit? Lol. My parents always say these comments. Like " Oh God your Spoiled " or " Luis with his Designer Stuff ". Its not my fault I like designer stuff. But I have to admit, I am spoiled.. And my parents give me all the stuff I want. :slight_smile: And I don't love them for the products. I just love my parents, because their my parents and they brought me into this world. But I don't mind me getting spoiled :grin:

-Luis

4. Lychee

I reckon parents just find it hard keeping up.

They probably see you as the little kid who only wanted clothes for comfort rather than style.

And yeah, you may be spoiled, but so what?! I say, enjoy it while it lasts. Soon you'll be having to buy your own clothes and pay for everything yourself :]

Materialistic? Yes. But is there a problem with consumerism? No! In fact, next time, tell your parents that we need to keep spending in order to avoid a recession :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Helen

Helen Guest

I think you are overreacting a little bit, but ah well ^_^

I'm horrendously spoiled, and I feel bad about it all the time. My mum's always telling me what a brat I am (and my dad's started doing that too), but I know they still love me really, and I am trying to get better. So yeah, enjoy the spoilage while it lasts, I agree with Lychee. As long as you just remember that it won't be this way forever, it's all good :grin:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Uggh...I'm in high school too, and looks matter nothing. Nothing at all. F*ck the people who don't like the way you look, and be glad for the people who like you anyway. The tiny logo on your shirt isn't going to snag you dates or win you awards. Just wear the clothes you get, and enjoy it while you still can. Eventually YOU'RE going to be buying those $100 shoes, not your parents. You get what you earn.

7. William1

I'm in my second year of high school (the 2nd form - I don't know what that is in the US) and LOL! clothes don't matter to me at all. Why? Cos we all wear the same uniform, so no rich spoilt brat (not talking about anyone here) can look better than the rest of us.

I never care about clothes, just so I'm clean and not too untidy looking (or I will get nagged by my mum). If peeps don't like the way I look - is my face bothered? :lol:

8. darkestknight

Well, maybe they asked that in a playful tone, or just not serious. It's like, they are surprised. Sometimes, one will spend a little bit more on their favourite piece of clothing. Nothing's wrong with that. :slight_smile:

My ma even said, "whoa, that's pretty spoiled of you!" jokingly when she found out my skinxwear underpants. (can't resist that, they are sexy!!) :roflmao:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, you probably overreacted a bit. Your parents are probably just now noticing that you've gone from that little boy who really didn't care what he wore to somebody who cares about style and brand names now. I'd give them a big hug and thank them for the new clothes and shoes! My kids started buying at least part of their school clothes when they were 16 because they were into style by then too and that stuff gets expensive! They all had jobs at that age though.

10. ScentedRegrets

First off, I wanted to say that I am 23 and very similar. I love Aeropostale, Hollister, and American Eagle. Yes, I am a 23 year old professional who wears American Eagle and Hollister 24/7 :slight_smile:

I think you are over reacting a bit here. As you progress through high school and then college, you start to find your own tastes. You and I seem to have similar tastes - not bottom of the barrel, but also not top of the line either. I'd say that I like things that are a bit more expensive than the average person would buy, but not overly so.

If it really bothers you, I would tell your mother (she seems to be the one who propagated the conversation) that you were a bit hurt by that. I think that saying something to that effect would help in two ways. First, it would likely stop those comments from arising in the future. And second, it would show your mother that you do care about being a good person. I hope this helps! And by the way, enjoy the new clothes! I think I am going to go to Hollister for a new pair of shorts now!

11. darkestknight

I'm pretty sure I can picture this situation. Some parents will say that in a playful tone. My ma used to say that also, but then when I grew up, I have definitely changed some of my clothing taste. She noticed that. :grin:

But my pa is even more relaxed - he said, "spoil yerself a little bit, it's OK. just don't go buy clothing that is more expensive than a kevlar suit!" :grin:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell them you'll never forgive them. Unless you get a $250 gift card to A&F. Then you'll think about it. :slight_smile:

Is it petty? A bit. Somewhat. But then again, you're not out yet. They may be worried that your label whoreness (meant in the nicest possible way!) is a "sign". In this case, in fact, it is. :slight_smile: But try not to hold it against them.

Lex

13. Jebs

Well.. I say you are overreacting. I think when it comes to clothes, people get so superficial.. Honestly, who cares about the logo. It all seems like a vain contest to wear clothes with a stupid crocodile on them to just shout to the world, 'I have more money then you'. When in fact, to me, it screams 'Im stupid and pay $115 for a shirt that costs $2 to make'. Good job at failing economics. Maybe I have this mentality because when I was younger and wanted AE, A&F, and Tommy my parents told me no. Sure I was mad, and to spite them (or so I thought in my head) I got a job when I was 15 and started to buy my clothes. I realized why they wouldn't buy me those clothes, its not practical. Why spend $115 on a polo when there is a perfectly good Old Navy for $15? Just saying...