1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over Facebook? Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bmayne, May 20, 2014.

1. bmayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well heres a little bit about me.

im 21, and i fully came out to myself a little over a year ago. and ive had a boyfriend for about 4 months. i love him to death. hes 29 and he means the world to me. our feeling are definitely mutual and we see a future together. i came out to my sister about 4 months ago also. im also 3000 miles away from home and my boyfriend. im in the military, so coming out should be ok. i can always hold off on the people i work with.

well how i see it... coming out is a sad thing, sorta, people cry sometimes. but im not sad, im happy, i finnaly can be. so i dont want a soppy coming out. what i want to do is change my facebook so it says im in a relationship with my boyfriend. and slowly, people will see this, and maybe call me. like my mom, she would probably maybe think its a joke and call me. then i would just say its not a joke and i feel like it would be easier to come out that way. i know my family and friends (who im not already out to) will be ok with it, and if they are not, than screw them, they probably weren't worth being friends with anyway.

i can always tell facebook to hide this from everyone i work with for now, then do that later. because for now i can come out to everyone i dont see. then when im ready i can do it to people who i work with and who i see everyday. they will probably confront me in person, that will be a little harder. but i think i can do it.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Err...personally, I wouldn't come out on Facebook. I thought about doing so but my friends convinced me I shouldn't do it (for moderately good reason)

But um...if you haven't come out to your mom yet, I would hold off on coming out on Facebook. All in all, what you do is up to you.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

when I was ready, after telling my family members that I plan to change into a woman. After being on hormones for a few months, and living as a woman I was ready to make that Social coming out crucible.
    My original plan was to just delete my old "guy" facebook and make a new one as a woman and befriend only those that knew. However my friends on EC gave me the courage to just do it. change my profile pic and announce to my 400 some friends what I was going through.

To my surprise it was met with almost universal acceptance, within an hour I had 40 friends posting to my status with words of support and love, I think I lost about 3 or 4 friends but... meh who needs them =)

4. Princess Danica

Lol, a random and somewhat quite facebook relationship status change would be amusing. I've thought about doing that, but with my "orientation" status part. It doesn't say either/or for me at the moment. But yeah... lol that would be funny. Some people would kinda freak out like "whaa??? no lol. no way lol. waht it's legit? wut lol" lol im sorry. Yeah go ahead and do that, it'll be funny lol

5. bmayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i just dont feel like going and telling everyone, too much work. and some people argue that i should at least tell my mom first, she will find out. is being gay really that big of a deal? my family never came out to me and told me that they were straight, why should i?

and me and my family are close, but we dont like.. talk.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out on Facebook to like the 5 or 6 people I still needed to tell. It worked for me, but it depends on each person's situation.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Unfortunately that is one of the issues I would love to change in my lifetime... Kids shouldn't feel the fear to "Come out" to their parents, it should just be right there on the table "Yo I like dudes" "um...good for you son!". instead it is made out to be a trial that we must overcome amongst the other social stigmas associated with being different

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not that big of deal at all. It's just a common courtesy to let moms know (that is if she wants to know.) But like I said, however you want to come out is up to you...there's no right or wrong way :slight_smile:

9. mangotree

I think it sounds like a good idea.
    Nice and subtle.
    I'd do it if I was in your situation.

Peace!

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can choose to send your message custom on your status. Do things at the pace you want.