1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these good coming out goals?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, May 21, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's not even good to set goals for coming out, but this is what I was thinking..

Well first, some background info. I'm out to... Nine people..I think. 7 of them are friends.. They were the only ones I, myself, told. I told friend 1 last June. Friend 2 in August?..I think. Friend 3 in November. Friends 4 & 5 in December. Friends 6 & 7 in January. And more or less, they all accepted me pretty quickly. The two people that I didn't tell..were fine for the most part. That's not really part of me "coming out" tho. (Also way more people could know.. But this is what I'm aware of)

Okay so anyway this is my rough plan:
    I want to come out to my parents over summer.. Maybe in June just becsuse it's early on.. If they need time to adjust I won't be dealing with the beginning of it at least and have to deal with school at the same time. Also June in pride month so yay!
    And then I want to come out to my schoolmates in the early part of the year.. Maybe September/October. Coming out day would be cool if I do it..like over Facebook or something like that. Or I could just start talking more openly/wearing pride stuff around that time.
    I haven't really thought too much about extended family because that's really scary (theyre extremely religious and homophobic overall). But ideally, sometime before I graduate high school. (I'm finishing sophomore year right now so. 2 more years).

Anyways yeah. What do you think? Are these goals reasonable? Also any other advice would be awesome! Thanks.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are perfectly reasonable, and if that's what you want to do, then you do it.

I do have one question though.

Why do you want to come out to your school and your extended family?

I only ask because it's not something I could ever see myself doing, it's not meant as a criticism or anything!

3. Deadellaastra

That seems like a lot. I mean, it's a reasonable time frame, but it seems like a long time to kind of drag yourself through. Once I told my parents, everyone else became so much easier, but it really just depends. That sounds really good, though. Good luck!

4. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! So.. I guess I wouldn't need to..you're right. But..I guess it's mostly just to be visible and be "part of the change" bc I can't really do that in any other way right now. Also, I think it will be nice to never have to censor myself and what I say around those people. And I think it would just help my confidence to be completely out. (Not to mention pretty pretty girls at school :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).
    But yeah. It's just always how I pictured the future once I realized I was queer. Which doesn't mean it doesn't deserve some more thinking, but this is just my reasoning right now.
    I would never say that anyone else should feel like that should have to be out to these groups of people, but for me, I think that's what I'm gonna do eventually.
    Thanks for the response! :slight_smile:

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's fine, if it helps then great :slight_smile:

One thing that DOES occur to me though, is that you could just stop censoring yourself anyway...that way if there IS any negative side to coming out, it won't come to you straight away...

I mean I don't want to put bad thoughts in your head or anything!