1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure about my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jack1197, May 22, 2014.

1. jack1197

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here's my situation

I am gay, and only one of my best friends knows
    I want to tell more people, im pretty sure that almost all people at my school will be fine with it, and so will my mum and step-dad, and probably of my other family, however, I'm not sure about my dad, he is 62 and doesn't seem that accepting of gays(he has said that he doesn't agree with gay marriage because he thinks its weird and wrong, and when the thing about gays in the Russian Olympics was on the news he said that he kind of agreed with the Russians that being gay should be illegal)

My dad isn't very social, so if i started telling other people, it isn't very likely that he would hear it through gossip

I want to come out to more people, but i just don't know where to start

Any advice/ideas would be apreciated

2. Hyaline

Focus on the people who might end up being positive support in your life. Start small and work from there. If your mom and step-dad are part of that group, then their support will help you work through if/when you want to tell your dad. Also, there is nothing to say you need to tell everyone at once. And some people, well, as Jack Nicholson once said in a movie...."You can't handle the truth".. :slight_smile:

3. mangotree

Are you in a situation where you don't have to see your Dad very much?
    If so, and if you really really really want him to know, maybe write him a letter... that way he can absorb the information and think about it before reacting to it. Even say something in the letter suggesting that he takes some time to think about it, or research it, or pray about it or whatever he usually does with things that he doesn't understand.

Generally speaking as well, letters (or e-mails) are a decent way to come out because you can take your time preparing it and making sure that it says everything that you want it to say.

Keep in mind though, the moment you hit 'Send' is the start of your new way of living. So be prepared for a few "oh f*ck, what have I done" thoughts, but know that it's normal to feel that way.

There's lots of different ways to come out though - in person (pretty common), over Facebook, via SMS, during a birthday or graduation speech, in a song, sky writing, alphabet fridge magnets, alphabet soup, video taped and posted to youtube (there's lots on there if you do a search by the way if you're looking for inspiration).

Peace be with you mate and good luck.