1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Twins

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is it true if one twin has one sexual orientation the other will share that same sexual orientation. I ask because today a very good friend of mine asked me to come over and then out of the blue tells me that he is bi. This friend also happens to have a twin brother whom is still very much in the dark about his brother in fact I am the only one he has actually told. (And not because I am gay because he forgot that I am gay and I had to remind him after he told me he was bi). But I wonder if his brother is possibly going through the exact same thing or if the fact that they are twins doesn't matter.

2. Cheese Love

On a 60 Minutes episode I watched called "Gay or Straight", the twins they interviewed each had a different orientation.

If you are familiar with Tegan & Sara (music), they are twin sisters and both lesbians.

So basically, I'm not really sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. jony8472

I don't think there's any specific way to tell what sexual orientation will be...

I would love to have a different example BUT... Amanda and Michelle from Cycle 7 of ANTM were twins and one was gay and one was straight=]

So, as far as I can tel... there's no way to tell how sexual orientation will work out.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came across a study in a book a while ago. They studied pairs of brothers of which one was gay. Of guys with identical twins who were gay, 65% were gay as well. The percentage was lower for non-identical twins, but still higher than non-twin brothers, or unrelated guys.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Is it true if one twin has one sexual orientation the other will share that same sexual orientation.

I know one guy who's gay, and whose twin isn't. That's all it takes to say "No." :slight_smile:

Lex

6. silentsound

I think the likelihood of having a gay *twin* brother if you are also gay is higher than having a gay brother, but it doesn't always work that way.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  8. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an identical twin who's definitely straight

9. Ronnie92

I was surprised when my twin sis told me she was bi as well so i guess i'm in the minority.

10. RENThead

one of my guy friends is gay, and his twin brother is straight... (or not out..)

but then, that would be saying that being gay is a genetic thing... (im not saying its not, but i dont know if i believe if it is either)

11. darkestknight

We all don't know whether is being gay/bi is actually a genetic thing or not.

It's all boil down to preferences. The word "preference".

It's like we write our stuff using L/R hand, uh... chocolate or vanilla or whatever. Do we have so much of a scientific explaination on why certain people like to hear rock music? We dunno.

In that case, every person is different, and have their own tastes. Even sometimes identical twins *can* be different in terms of preferences and choices. :grin:

12. sdc91

I know a set of identical twins. One's gay, and the other's straight.

I'm gay, and my identical twin is straight (as far as I know).

13. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that the reason why groups like AMSA and such support the notion that sexual orientation is determined by a combination of genetic and environmental factors is based on twin studies. My understanding is that there is a scientifically significant level of concordance in identical twins that both twins end up being of the same orientation. However, this certainly is not true in all cases, and scientifically significant does not even have to mean "a majority." I think the deviations from a 100% concordance are attributed to the unknown environmental factors that are believed to contribute to sexual orientation.

14. Sam

Sam

I heard that if one twin is gay then the other twin has a higher probability of being gay also but I don't know the exact percentage. I do know it is higher then just regular siblings. It's definitely not 100% I think the last I heard it was 65-70% but I'm not sure.

Just because one twin is gay doesn't mean the other is too.

15. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    wow we have alot of people that have twins on EC .
    i wonder how it feels to be str8 and have an gay twin or the opposite

16. EM68

I am a twin. He is as straight at can be. Married 3 great kids! The funny thing is that when I come to the point where I tell my family, he is the one I am the most scared to death to tell.

17. blpate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a twin, fraternal. My twin is straight and I am gay. It goes further than that though. We are really total opposites. I am an art major he is a business major. I am very neat and he is sloppy. Very different. He knows I am gay but we never talk about it b/c he is uncomfortable, its been eight months since I told him but I think a part of him is still in denial. No idea why I am gay and he is straight.

18. otc877

otc877 Guest

More likely, but not definitive.

19. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I know a pair of twins who are both questioning their sexuality / provisionally bi. But that doesn't prove that all twins are like that :slight_smile:

20. Miles D

if one twin is gay, there is a 75% chance the other twin is too (only true for males).

^ that's a true one. ^