1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobic parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kattykat, May 23, 2014.

1. kattykat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi I'm new. My name is cat and I'm 14.. I was looking though some stuff on here and i saw some threads about coming out. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advise for coming out because my parents are homophobic and even though I've tried opening up to my mother she shuts me down, like every time. I feel like the black sheep in this family and like I can't talk to anyone who can relate.I've talked to my siblings and although they support me they don't understand me. I know I'm young but I'm confused on what I'm supposed to say and do at the moment.

2. Hyaline

Hi Cat! Welcome to EC! (*HUGS*)

Speaking to your parents about your sexuality can be tough if they aren't ready or willing to talk about it. Do you have any friends that are open minded enough to understand what you are going through?

There are plenty of ways to come out, but ultimately it is up to you to gauge how they will handle it. Keeping in mind that if they are homophobic, odds are, it probably won't go well and will likely make your home life more complicated. The advice to wait until you are financially stable and on your own is often given in cases like yours.

I know it seems like something you need to do right now, but perhaps the time isn't right.. You should spend time figuring out what to say and do... And I don't mean "I should go tell them I am questioning my sexuality".... I mean that you work on figuring out what you will say when the time is right. Educate yourself and be knowledgeable. This way, if there are questions, you can answer them.

For instance, I have been "out" for almost 20 years and had to Google what Genderqueer was. I suspect your homophobic folks will know even less than I do...

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to Empty Closets! Knowing that your parents are homophobic, and given that you have tried opening up to your mom, it might be a good idea to give it some time before coming out to them.

I would suggest that you think about coming out to them, once you are financially independent (as it was already suggested), and have a strong support network around you. You have already started building that support network by coming out/talking with your siblings. Try to build on it by coming out to one or two friends (if you haven't yet) or perhaps even a teacher.

Continuing to build your support network, will help you to come out to your parents down the road.