1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm coming out to one of my best friends today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ardard, May 23, 2014.

1. ardard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im coming out to one of my best friends today and I'm freaking out. Im a guy and I'm gay but I have a girlfriend that i need to breakup with, i still haven't been fully confident enough to do it. So anyway none really suspect me as being gay and i don't know how my best friend is going to react. I came out to another one of my friends 2 weeks ago but i chickened out and said that i was bi because i got to scared to say that i was gay. Is their any advice to what i can do to calm myself down because i am literally shaking right now.:help:

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you shaking in fear? You have not done anything wrong. You have simply realized what you were born to be. You need to break up with your girlfriend, and you might want to explain to her why, and that it has nothing to do with her, and (if it is the case) that you want to still be her friend. Most people think of bi as being gay, or as an intermediate rest stop to ease into identifying yourself as gay, if that is the case. There is really no conflict with telling your friend that you are more gay than bi later, or that you feel more comfortable with guys than hot girls.

If you are afraid of something about being gay, then you need to talk with other gay people who can help calm your fears, or a supportive friend. If your shaking has reached the point where you are disabled, then a visit to a clinical psychiatrist who can prescribe nerve calming medications, or your family doctor may be in order. But, I think it would be better if you just consider that what you have realized is not that big a deal unless you live in Nigeria or Russia, and have reason to fear great bodily harm. Tens of millions of people are gay; it ain't that big a deal. (*hug*)