1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My GSA Club has been "REVOKED"?!?!? Help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perrygay, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

As some of you may know, I have been very excited about the GSA that my teacher and I created for this school year. We had everything all set to go, all the paperwork was in order, and we already had our first meeting scheduled.

So, when I walked into our sponsor's classroom after school, she sat me down and told me that our formal club "recognition" by the county school system had been revoked this morning. No warning, nothing. They told us that *insert county* does not, and will not, participate in activites such as the day of silence and other "controversial" activities.

Excuse my language, but what the fuck? Who do they think they are?

What do we do now? My teacher wants us all to write letters to the new principal and the county board of education members, but I'm not sure if that's going far enough. Should I contact the ACLU?

I have to go to work now, and when I get home I have to write these letters, so I would really appreciate some advice on what to say in them. Also, any advice on how to reverse the county's decision would be helpful.

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

yes contact the ACLU and other groups that support LGBT activities.

Are there any other "controversial" clubs including but not limited to religious ones?

3. Tim

Tim

Yes, as Bitter says, if there are any other "controversial" clubs, including those who are about religion (our school had 3-4 clubs involving christian students), then tell them something either needs to be done about the GSA being allowed if they allow those types of club on campus, or you'll go to the ACLU and then it'll become a problem.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general rule is to start at the level where you're having a problem, and move up a level each time you don't get satisfaction. Letters to the school board and principal are probably the best place to start.

Also, just because the school doesn't sponsor doesn't mean you can't still meet off-campus. Keep the organization up and running. Meet once a week (or whatever) at McDonald's or one of your homes, so you can coordinate your letter writing and whatever else. That way, once the organization is reinstated, you won't have to scramble to bring it all back together.

Lex

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would suggest networking with other GSA's and see what they have done that has been successful. I know there are others who have been in this same situation. Lex's suggestion was good. Keep on holding your meetings elsewhere until the situation can be resolved. I'd contact your PFLAG chapters in GA and get them to write letters as well. In fact, I'll write one for you. PM me with the Principal's name and address.

6. Sam

Sam

First of all you have every right to have a gsa because I'm sure there are other clubs at your school which could be considered controversial like religious or political groups the school may have. If they are allowed to have their club then you are allowed to have yours. There is actually a law about it if they shut down the gsa, by law they have to either reinstate the gsa or shut all the other clubs down too. Fight for it and you'll win.

7. Amy

Amy

WRITE!!!!!!!!!

deffinatly tell how there are clubs that are contreversial on campus, especially ones about personal views (ie: christian club/young life, muslim student association, vegitarian/animal rights/peta2 club, black student union...). if you d meet, make sure to tell everyone to include the same points, but have their own stories and points too.

me too. i can get alot of people from my GSA and other clubs/organizations to write letters.

8. EM68

I agree with LEX. Work within the system. Go to your principal first he may support your club but just have to follow the school board. Then talk to the school board, see what happens. If you bring in the ACLU you may just back them in a corner and they may harden their position. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

9. tr1ppy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lucky.
    I don't think my school even has a GSA. :/

But, that's total shit though.

10. justjoshoh

Time and time again the United States Supreme Court have upheld the idea of "in loco parentis, meaning while you are in the custody of the school, it should act as the guardian. Schools have the authority to suppress activities which it deems as acts of interference with the educational process (Tinker v Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969)).

That said, most school boards are voted on by local constituents. If writing to them, attending their meetings, and speaking out for your organization is not producing the results that you would like, there is a process to remove them from office. Start a political movement to bring attention to the issue. Talk to like-minded people in the school boards constituency and plead for change.

If you will be of voting age by the next time their seats come up for election, or if you know someone that will support the cause that will... oppose them in a campaign. Too often, these people get to sit on a board for years and years because nobody bothers to run against them. Stand up and make them take notice.

11. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From http://www.gsanetwork.org/resources/FAQs.html
    "There is a Federal law, called the Equal Access Act, that says that if a school allows any student-initiated, non-curricular clubs to meet, it must allow all student-initiated, non-curricular clubs to meet. The Supreme Court has broadly interpreted a "non-curricular" group to mean "any student group that does not directly relate to the body of courses offered by the school." If you follow all of the same processes and regulations in place for the formation of any other non-curricular club at your school, your GSA should be protected by the Equal Access Act.
    Links about the Federal Access Act:

General survey of issues relating to the Equal Access Act, from Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund: www.lambdalegal.org/cgi-bin/pages/documents/record?record=78

Letter from the American Civil Liberties Union, encouraging school officials to follow the Equal Access Act and allow Gay-Straight Alliances: http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/11863res20030611.html

To get more information about your rights under the Equal Access Act, you can call either one of these organizations for free legal advice:

* American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project: 212-549-2673. They will also be able to refer you to a local chapter in your area. Also see: http://www.aclu.org/lgbt. They will also be able to refer you to a local chapter in your area.
    * Youth Legal Information Line, run by the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR): 1-800-528-NCLR. They offer free and confidential legal support to all youth and they have a lot of experience with GSA issues. Also see www.nclrights.org. "

So them stopping it is illegal, fight it!

12. Amy

Amy

basically: if a school doesnt allow gsa, but alows any other non-schooly cub(science bowl, tri m, ect...), they a) are being pretty rude and intolerant, b) (which sucks for them, because) its illegal.

make sure to tell the letter recievers how much they would loose if they banned all clubs.

13. Jim1454

^ All good suggestions...

I'm not sure why they would assume that a GSA would necessarily coordinate 'protests' that they consider to be inappropriate. Who says you need a GSA to participate in a day of silence. Seems like a dumb reason to disallow your club.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  15. Derek the Wolf

Sorry to hear bout your situation. I guess somebody complained to the school board about encouraging such an obviously wrong choice in their schools. The world is full of bigots and idiots. I'd recommend having the group meeting outside of school, at someone's house or at a cafe. Whatever works for you guys. Send an invitation to all the former members of the school's former GSA. Good luck.

16. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Ok, I've gotten a few people together, and we've each independently written letters to the prinicpal and administrators. We're going down to the office tomorrow first thing to submit them in the office.

I really don't feel like posting the whole dang thing in the thread, so if you want to read it you can private message me.