1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14 and Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ILikeNutsSorry, May 23, 2014.

1. I am currently 14, and I want to ask for help. I'm at a point in my life where I'm pretty sure I am bisexual, though still not quite sure. I've already come out to my best friend a couple of months ago, who turned out to be a lesbian. So the tricky question is: when should I come out? I know my parents will most likely to accept me for who I am, but... I don't know why, I can't bring myself to do it. Would it be better to wait until I am adult, or is the sooner the better? I feel a bit conflicted right now.

2. jacksonsarunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've every right to feel conflicted here. You're fairly young, so if you don't know for sure who you are now, there's a chance you will soon.
    Coming out too early can cause problems, especially if it turns out you're actually straight, but at the same time, coming out too late might make you feel like you wasted valuable years of your life.
    If you've gotten to the point where you've come out to yourself (not just in your head, like, you're comfortable saying it out loud to yourself) then I would recommend talking to more of your friends. Their advice might make you more sure if what you want to do.
    Remember, only you know when the right time to come out is. Best of luck :3

3. Trentacles

i say go for it. its better to get it out there imo

4. Kenaria

Go for it man, as long as your comfortable with it and are close to, if not completely certain that you'll be in safe hands with your parents accepting you, whats the harm?

P.S. Just remember you probably won't be able to have many guy friends spending the night anymore :slight_smile:

Good luck!!

5. Weekender

I'm actually in a similar situation. I decided a few years ago that I would wait until I graduated high school to come out. Of course, I'm graduating in the morning and I'm still not even totally comfortable with my gayness myself. Sometimes I regret waiting this long, but I feel like I've done the right thing in not rushing the process. So the advice I can give is to not put a timer on it -- come out whenever you feel comfortable with it. I wouldn't recommend coming out if you're still not quite sure about it yourself. If you're uncertain or wishy-washy about the fact when you come out to someone, they may pick up on that and not take you seriously, which is never helpful.

6. marriedover50

I would encourage you to not get caught up on figuring out the correct label yet. I would keep building relationship both male and female and be open to what you are feeling. What do you enjoy sharing and doing together.

You still have plenty of time to figure this out. You seem to be open to whichever way it comes out. You probably need more time to settle whether you are bi/gay.

So just have fun, enjoy life, and enjoy making and deepening relationships.