1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out and dissociate myself from heterosexist assumptions?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NonsnsOnStilts, May 24, 2014.

1. I am somewhere towards the gay end of the sexuality spectrum. I know exactly what my sexuality is, but I just don't know what label to put on it without feeling dishonest. I don't want to come out with an odd string of semi- recognised lgbt sub-labels either. either.

I really dislike all the available label options, all feel restrictive and not accurate for myself, I especially strongly feel about any kind of label that could be read in hetero settings as sexually attracted to men. I basically want to come out to dissociate myself from the straight assumptions made about me and that's it.

Queer/lesbian is fine in the sense that it kind of achieves that aim, but I am not sure if it is accurate, homoflexible is also ok, but kind of of mouthful.

Gay is very accurate when it comes to how I feel inside about my sexual and romantic experiences: only truly compatible with the same sex emotionally/sexually, I feel like I am spiritually gay, but this is not completely accurate when it comes to describing my actual attractions.

I used to be kind of demisexual with men and still am close to a guy who was my long-term boyfriend, but it has been asexual for few years now.
    In many settings we are still seen as a couple, hence all the presumptions about me liking men. I am somewhere around Kinsey 5: in a relationship the physical side is just not exciting for me with a guy, it lacks some essential elements that I feel I can only get with a woman, like the spiritual part is not there.

I can get strong feelings for a guy as well, but I am not really sure if they actually feel romantic: more like a strong affection/love that you'd feel for somebody who is your best friend, so it neither feels like I am truly biSexual (demisexual, and disinterested in actual sex beyond making-out), nor am I biRomantic, as the feelings I get are more a sibling kind of bond with a guy.

In some settings, especially in settings with straight women there is this tendency to talk about attractive men, and sexual attraction to them, and also to be invited to go out for nights out to straight clubs. I feel profoundly uncomfortable with that.
    I went out with them to a salsa night and I just had to leave as soon as I entered the place, I felt so out of place there.
    I need to come out to make clear who I am and whom I am not.

I almost never felt sexually attracted to a man in an outright way, it was more in a kind of demisexual way, where the sex was only there to feel more close to him as a person, rather because I was sexually attracted to him, and in the light of my attractions to women I've given up on pursuing any attraction to men, because it does not make sense to me.
    I never lusted after a man.

I've started to profoundly feel uncomfortable with heterosexist assumptions and environment I want to come out to kind of put a limit to that.

I want to be able to say that I don't want to join a night out, because I feel uncomfortable in straight environments, because I am not straight.

If I come out as gay, there will be this dreadful thing about 'but you have a boyfriend!', I don't want to have to explain that we were asexual for most of our 10 year on-off relationship while it lasted, it will invalidate that relationship completely, and I don't want to do that.

I was kind of out as somebody who also likes women, but I am not biSexual in terms of actual sexual attractions and taking the label does absolutely nothing to curb heterosexist assumptions about me, it just does not feel right or genuine, and I want OUT of the straight world.

I am a Kinsey 5-PREDOMINANTLY homosexual, and if I ever have attractions to men, they are QUEER, they are not normative, they are mostly mental/asexual and are completely different to your standards kind of attractions to men and completely different to the ones I experience for women.

I really resent being pushed into a remotely heterosexual-shaped box.

If I come out as Queer, which I am inclined to do, then what?

It still feels like an odd, not really comfortable label, and in some places nobody really knows what it means. I'll have to do educating and explaining and I dread it.

I want to come out in a kind of off-and way, more to clarify things, rather than make a big announcement.

EC what is the best course of action here, what do you think?

2. TheStormInside

To be totally honest it feels like you are splitting hairs, here. From what you've said it sounds like you and your boyfriend are no longer together, so why do you worry about the "but you have a boyfriend" comments?

If you are primarily attracted to women and only ever want to have a relationship with a woman in the future, why not come out as gay or lesbian? I suppose you could say "mostly gay" if you want to be less confined to the lesbian box? If your friends question you you can explain that you have/had feelings for your ex but that you realized there was something missing and that you're more interested in women now.

I've also had some trouble resolving my past male relationship with my current female inclinations, so I understand your feelings in regard to that issue, but I haven't really found a way to feel at total ease there, myself, so I'm at a loss for what to suggest for you, as well :frowning2:

3. I do tend to split hairs, it is my speciality! :slight_smile: Thank you for reading my post and responding to it, it feels a reassuring to be a understood.

(*hug*)

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    In a similar situation myself which is why I despise labels with a passion, I hate the fact society expects everyone to put themselves into a box that all these rules apply to and then calls us confused/fickle/liars if our lives have been more complicated than that. Personally I've decided to go with 'gay' or 'lesbian' simply for the reason that I have no intention of trying to pursue a relationship with a male now that I have accepted my feelings for women. But I know that explaining it to people you know personally can be more difficult. I'm still trying to decide how to come out to my best friend because the way we met involved our mutual appreciation of a rather androgynous male comedian. For me it was more that I liked his work but she has a massive crush on him and I eventually developed some attraction when he was looking particularly feminine. I don't want her to misunderstand and think our whole friendship was based on a lie.

Your friends will likely ask questions but you can try to explain that your previous relationship was more emotional than sexual and that it always felt like something was missing. But to be honest no matter what label you choose if any you will probably encounter people who question you about it for whatever reason. I anticipate people not believing me because I 'look too feminine to be a lesbian'. Even people who have no history with the opposite sex and fit all the stereotypes (effeminate men and butch women) encounter comments like 'you just haven't met the right woman/man yet' so no one is exempt it seems :rolle: Best you can do is say you are only interested in women and don't want to go to straight clubs etc and if anyone doesn't like that it's their failing not yours. :slight_smile: