1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sophie986, May 24, 2014.

1. Sophie986

Sophie986 Guest

Recently I've had a newfound confidence within myself ;p Like I feel proud to love my girlfriend, I feel proud to be myself because I realised I can't please everybody however I don't know how I should go about telling my parents because when I previously told them they said things like 'Dyke' (I'm not a dyke) and made really rude remarks. They said they'll still love me and everything but I felt really upset and stuff when they made rude remarks but it was only my mum, my dad was totally okay with it. I don't even know if its a good idea to tell them but I don't really care who knows? I was reading about and I read that some people say like their sexual orientation out loud so they don't feel awkward saying it so I tried that and that worked too. What really made me confident was reading a post someone said about them being depressed and thinking that they're gonna get out of it with their head held high and be proud of themselves. I want to be able to go outside with my girlfriend and hold her hand, I want to be able to tell her I love her in person y'know? I just don't really know how my parents will take it this time. (Last time I told them I wasn't really Lesbian) between the time I told my parents I wasn't serious and like a month ago (Which is about 1 year) I've been like forcing myself and trying to trick myself into liking guys but the relationship never works out and I only hurt people and i'm sick of doing that I feel ready. How do you guys recommend telling my parents if I should?
    I'm 14 almost 15, I sorta knew when I was 12, came out first at 13 then took it back. Sorry if this is like far too much information just wanted like the situation to be understood ;p

2. AmiBee

I'm so happy that you want to feel comfortable with yourself and with your girlfriend. As for coming out to your parents, you should do so only if you feel sure that their response won't be overwhelmingly negative. Please don't go the route of forcing yourself to be straight. That will just make everyone unhappy. You are who you are. I have been talking alot with my 13-14 year old queer students. They've had some positive experience and have come out to parents. No dire consquences with parents but most of their parents are practicing some form of denial. Good luck. Hugs and my thoughts are with you.

#2 AmiBee, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. Sophie986

Sophie986 Guest

Thankyou for your reply c;