1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out During Project Grad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geek, May 24, 2014.

1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay so I graduated yesterday from high school. (I know i'm so young don't judge me!) Anyways so after graduation I went to project grad. For those of you who haven't heard of project grad here's what it is. Immediately after graduation, the school takes the graduates out all night and don't tell them what they are doing. It goes all night and the aim is to prevent after parties with drugs and alcohol.

Anyways I'm at dinner with my friends(see post) and randomly I said

Me: "Anyways bob the answer to that question from Febuary, i'm Bi".
    Three people "cool"
    Michelle: "Well I'm as straight as this fork"

Not sure what to get out of that fork comment. Anyways I "came out" for the first time ever actually saying so outloud without being an emotional wreck. (!) Only thing is that i'm homoflexable so labeling myself as bi isn't exactly accurate. So I ask you EC, why would I say that i'm bi when i'm clearly not? Secondly does anyone have a similar experience where they knew they wouldn't see someone again and just said "F**k it i'm gay"?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congrats on coming out. :slight_smile:

Well, it is possible that a part of you is not comfortable (yet) with the term gay. At a subconscious level you might feel that it is easier saying 'bi,' and it came out as such.

That said, I would suggest that you try to figure things out a bit more. Also, how do you feel when you say the phrase, 'I'm gay'?

3. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's weird because as of lately i've been waking up and relatively saying to myself "I am gay". Part of my problem is that i'm not 100% positive about my sexual and romantic orientation. I don't really have any close friend and i'm kind of a depressed independent loner. I feel like when I become friends with someone I get confused if I like the person versus just enjoying hanging out with someone for a change and having someone I can trust. Like I've had friends in the past where I wanted to spend all my time with them if I could and I thought I loved them. Maybe I even did i'm not sure. I've never really been sexually attracted to women at all. I mean I thought they were beautiful and got lost in their eyes but that doesn't determine your sexuality. But at the same time i've never really been sexually or romantically attracted to anyone that i've known.

I mean everyone in my area (except family from what I understand) are liberals and the non liberals are fine with gay people so i'm not sure about the second part. #MyLifeIsComplicated

4. ouji

ouji Guest

There was a guy I went to school with that came out the exact same way you did. He also came out during project grad. We were at Bullwinkle's playing dance dance revolution, and he made a comment about the video game he was just playing, and he picked the character because he was really cute. He then confirmed that he was gay. Congratulations on coming out :slight_smile:

5. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It might be worthwhile for you to take a step back then and try to figure out the true nature of your sexual and romantic orientations. When you are not sure about something, try to explore that more.

It could be also that you are trying to form attachments to others fairly quickly because it gives you a sense of security and having somebody in your life. That is something you might want to explore more as well.

Have you had ever had a crush on anybody?

6. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not sure If I have trust issues or i'm just lonely but when I become friends with someone I go through a creeper phase where they're all I think about and stalk their facebook religiously.

Does obsessing over a person for 4 years and only wanting to be around that person count? Than yes. (Michelle)

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Given what you have revealed, I think it would be worthwhile to speak with somebody who can help you to work through your feelings/attractions, as well as the way you approach friendships, and the need to find out about them as much as you can. It could be that it is connected to trust issues, and perhaps wanting to have some kind of confirmation that you can indeed trust them. But that is something a counselor can help you to figure out.