1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have too come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Arty77, May 25, 2014.

1. Arty77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So physically I'm a guy but I identify as being a genderqueer, which means I'm a genuine guy that identifies partially as a women as partially as a guy. I'm not sure if I really need to "come out" as a genderqueer. If I should come out, how would I do it? Would it be the same if I was a transgender person?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you don't HAVE to, it just depends what you want other people to do...

I mean, I needed to come out because I wanted people to use a different name and pronouns, to wear womens clothes and to be treated as a woman, but if that isn't something you actually need then it's entirely up to you.

So that's your big question. Does you being genderqueer affect other people?

3. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no obligation for anyone to come out. I guess when deciding, it's about the whole risk vs benefit thing. Typical of these are:

Risk: being alienated, ridiculed and generally rejected. If you are dependant on someone then you also risk been thrown out on the street.

Benefit: being able to live publicly as yourself and having that freedom to express yourself openly.

Of course these don't necessarily apply to everyone and each person had to weigh up their own risks and benefits when making a choice.

Happy days :slight_smile:

4. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've questioned this before too but like Happy Days says,the benefit is you can live openly ad freely as who you are. That, for my, outweighs the cons. Though it is important to take heed to the risks.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I tell someone about my gender identity when/if it becomes relevant. If someone comes out and asks me, if I'm a boy or a girl, I'll give them the short version, at least if I feel like it. Usually the short version is something along the lines of "I guess you can call me male for simplicity, but I don't exactly care one way or another".
    It's the same sort of story for my sexuality, If someone asks what kind of women I like or something like that, then I'll tell them that it's not just women, and then what I like.

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on what you want there us no wrong or right.