1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hen, May 25, 2014.

1. hen

hen

Specifically, anxiety regarding the act of coming out, regardless of the other person's reaction. I could come out to someone and have them be super respectful and supportive and I'd still be jittery and anxious for a while afterwards.

Is this just a natural adrenaline response, or is it possibly that I'm psyching myself out without meaning to? Does anyone else have this issue? Is there any way to preemptively prevent it?

2. Rainbow Girl

I'm the same way. It's perfectly normal.

3. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The four people I've told I knew would be supportive or not mean about it, yet I still felt extremely nervous when getting ready to talk about it. The first time I came out (even though it was over the phone) I was shaking and felt like throwing up beforehand.

I can only imagine how nervous I'll feel when I have to come out to someone I know hates gay people.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes, it's natural. i'm pretty sure everyone else that has come out the closet has felt the same way. just think of it as temporary. i can assure you that you will not feel them when you come out =)

5. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's natural and a good thing. It shows you have real emotions and care about others and how they see you.

Only by making yourself vulnerable and telling people will you live happily. Spend 2 minutes standing tall and remind yourself who you are and how you are in control of your life before telling somebody. Your hormone levels will change and people will listen either way. After all, you should only be telling people if it makes you happier.

Embrace the nervous excitement of it all, there aren't many moments in life like this.

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very natural. Coming out is big.

7. Acacia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perfectly normal, it's what makes us human. We care what people think of us, be it good or bad. None of my friends had ever seen me cry until I came out to them that first day, there just wasn't anything I could do about it.

8. Hyaline

It is totally normal... Be brave...