1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird feelings about coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MsEmmzy, May 26, 2014.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so, for about the past year or so, I've been taking it really slow. Thinking about my whole situation, thinking about everything really. A few nights ago, I came out to my friend that I was trans*. He took it well and was really supportive (I was kind of guessing he would, as he's bisexual). All of a sudden, I feel like I need to tell everyone. I feel like I need to transition NOW. More strangely, I feel scared that someone else is going to come out as transgender before me (which is really weird!), and that when I come out, people might think I'm just trying to follow some trend or something.

Of course I'm still worried about not being accepted and all that. I of course won't actually do anything stupid and tell the whole world at once who I am. I'm just kind of freaked out. I'm acting really spontaneously lately and it's not like me at all.

On more of a side note, I also seem to be acting more feminine all the time (although no one has really noticed.. ). Like normally I would try to act like a guy so people wouldn't freak out, but I'm now acting a lot like a girl.

Any ideas?

2. mangotree

Feels like I say this a lot and I hope it doesn't come across as downplaying anyone's experiences, but what your feeling is pretty normal.

When you first come out, (assuming it goes well), it's a bit of a adrenaline rush which makes you want to do it again and again and again.

It's also pretty normal after coming out to want to flaunt your uniqueness (not wanting someone else to come out first) and letting go of your insecurities and inhibitions (acting more feminine).

In an odd kind of way, I think we're kind of lucky to get the opportunity to come out and be fabulous. Common/Straight people don't get the chance to say "f*ck you world, I'm me, get over it". It's a great release for a lot of people.
    (I understand it's not that simple for a lot of people of course, but just something to think about)

Hope something there helps.

Peace be with you.

3. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for the reply! I guess I'll just have to stay calm and not do something rational. (*hug*)

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

It really just is the Benjamin Mee quote: "All it takes is just twenty seconds of insane courage for something amazing to happen." You just have to drop your fears for a minute to come out and hope it all goes well. Coming out seems much more scary for what it really is, just think about it, you are simply telling someone else a trait of you, "Mom... I'm left-handed." There's nothing scary in that, why should you be scared of saying that you're trans* ? Then again it doesn't help to make sure your family is accepting of the LGBT community.

Don't be scared of what others think of you, especially if they are as dumb as to believe that you would follow a trend to try and get attention. If someone honestly believes that's the only reason why you would be trans, then they're probably not the brightest and you shouldn't hang out with them anyways.

Good luck with whatever you do now! :grin: (PS I love the song Colors too :astonished:)

5. mangotree

I just realised that I didn't give any actual advice in my post, so thanks for working that out lol.
    Yeah, just relax, stay calm, chill and don't stress.
    Nothing to worry about.
    I assume you meant 'not do something irrational' :slight_smile:

Peace be with you.

6. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much for the support, guys! I just came out to a friend today and it went great. :slight_smile:

7. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Nice to hear! Uhh, keep up the good work?