1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating and coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, May 26, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to start online dating very soon. I know that it's safer if I involve friends and family. The problem I have is that I'm not that out. Mainly because I don't have any ready label.

I'm out to my mom and unfortunately out to my step dad and sister(I wish they didn't know.) I really don't want to involve my step dad and sister in my dating life or anyone else in my dating life. I'm okay with involving my mom, but that's about it. I really don't want people to find of I'm dating girls and force me to answer questions I just don't want to answer.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is really up to you as to whom you want to let you know about dating and that you have signed up with a dating site. If you don't want others to know that you are dating girls (at this stage) that's okay.

If you feel safer if somebody else knows, maybe let a close friend know, and/ or your mom. :slight_smile:

3. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I met my bf online. I was in the closet when I met him so I couldn't tell anyone who I was meeting or why. When I was going to meet him I told my mom and friends I where I was going and what I was going to do.
    You don't have to tell anyone you are going to date online but if you decide to meet make sure to tell someone just to be safe.
    I always thought online dating was for "weirdos" until I tried it. I met my bf there and we are completely in love. Good luck

4. Blue skies

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been thinking about trying online dating while I'm still not out as well. If you have any updates about how the online dating is going for you please share!
    Good luck!

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there a way I can make sure only my mom knows I'm dating girls? I don't want the rest of my family to know because they are huge gossips and I'm just not ready to come out. I'm not even 100% if I'm gay or just bi. I'm really scared of coming out as gay and falling for a guy.