1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A rather backwards coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Eighth Man, May 27, 2014.

1. The Eighth Man

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Evening!

I never really thought I'd be asking for advice - to be honest I don't think I know what I'm asking so bear with me.

Rewind to late last year and I told one of my old college mates I 'played for the other team', as I originally worded it. He was cool with it. So I then started to tell a couple of my other mates and naturally my best mate since childhood. To hopefully keep this short, they're all perfectly fine with it and we don't really mention it (unless we generally get into a serious conversation about it), so all's well in that department.

Then came the thought: 'alright, lets tell the family'... so I spontaneously told my Dad (who I don't live with), predictably he was perfectly fine with it. But I've been thinking of telling my Mum, but I seem to be struggling somewhat. I know she's not a idiot, my lack of girlfriends does understandably make her question (I imagine), but aside from that it's not really obvious so perhaps she hasn't guessed?

I know my Mum would be fully accepting, however I seem to be struggling to getting around to telling her - I guess it might be due to me being a bit more of a workaholic than having much interest in anyones or my own sexual orientation?

So long story short, I take it there has been many others who've faced a similar position? I don't think it's anything to do with fear or anything as to why I don't seem to be able to tell her. I think it is just generally a case of I have more interest in work than anything else and it seems somewhat.... forced?

Is it 'normal' for people to struggle coming out to people who'd be 100% be accepting? I seem to find it easier coming out to people who I perceive as being the ones to not take it too well? Surely it should be the other ay around? :lol:

2. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So you've already told people that you predicted would be accepting, and you also found time to tell them. Maybe there is some other reason why you having a problem telling your mom?

3. mangotree

Hi

Maybe you find it kind of exciting telling people that you're not sure about, more of a nervous build up -> relief/release etc..?
    Just a thought...

Or perhaps you hold your mum's feelings above nearly everyone elses and there's an element of uncertainty as to whether the news will hurt her or not.

No pressure or anything, but if you really really really want her to know, do you think she would prefer not to be the last person to know?

Peace be with you.