1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Another Gay Person

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, May 27, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

Earlier this year, I had unintentionally discovered that one of my friends is gay. While we aren't that close, I do talk to him at school and have two classes with him. When I learned about his sexuality, I was confused and was unsure about my sexuality so I never mentioned anything to him. Now that I have embraced being gay, though, I've felt really guilty that I have been keeping this secret from him when he really doesn't have other LGBT people to go to right now (we live in a small town so there are not many resources). Should I tell him about my sexuality now that I am sure of it or would it be too late? If I do decide to tell him though, would it be wise to bring it up after school tomorrow at a meeting for a club we are both in? How would get him alone to tell him?

2. mangotree

It's never too late.
    There's more than a fifty percent chance that it'll just be a short conversation ending with a hug, so just pick any time that you 2 are alone together.
    Or even just write him a little note saying somthing like "I'm gay too".

Just a couple of thoughts, not sure if it helps.

Peace be with you and good luck.

3. Hyaline

I would tell him while you two are alone in order to avoid being overheard. If you don't have that opportunity, via text or email might be easier as it can be done quietly...

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out to my transgendered friend a few months ago. He, (born female), ended up being a pretty good secret telling. I too don't talk to my friend much, but when I do see him, he's much better company because I feel more open. There's not that constant fear of saying something gay or anything. It would totally be worth it to come out to someone who you know, and who you know is LGBT. Being that they know the kind of struggle you're going through, they can help you the most, especially since you know them in person!

The way I came out was like this. It was actually funny, I was telling him about my crush, and he mentioned his crush as well before I even came out!

Me: "Hey do you know, Aidan?"
    Friend: "No, why? Do you know Christina?"
    Me: *Whispers* "I like Aidan"
    Friend: "Oh so you're..."
    Me: "Mmmhmmm"
    Friend: "I would have never guessed, but it's okay. Your friends will accept you, and your family will too!"