1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my crush?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by falcenav, May 27, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 14 and VERY ready to come out. However, the first person Id tell is also my crush. Im afraid to come out to him and then make some advance on him or make it seem like I wanted him. I dont want to ruin our current friendship.

Also, I cant get him alone. Mainly because I cant bring myself to ask him to go somewhere with me.

His sexuality is unknown to me; he could be gay or straight. I honestly cant tell.

And he is the only person Im willing to tell; nobody else is trustworthy and accepting enough for this.

Any advice on how to do this?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well what about your parents, family or close friends, it might not be a good idea to come out to your crush

3. ChameleonSoul

I agree with Peacemaker. I would wait to come out to your crush until you at least come out to a few other people. It doesn't matter whether it's your friends, family, or anyone else you think of. What if your crush ends up not feeling the same way as you do? It just wouldn't be a smart move if you didn't have people you know could support you if anything goes awry.

4. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My family is out of the question because of my homophobic father and conservatism in our family.

Close friends? None that I could trust with my sexuality. A good 60% chance that the one I tell would blab. My crush wouldnt. He is the only one with morals that follows said morals.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Given what you have mentioned, it sounds like that you do have trust in your crush and are at a point where you need to come out, and feel he would be the best person to come out to. Before you come out, try the mirror routine; stand in front of the mirror, and say out loud: 'I want to come out to [insert name].' Try to gauge how you feel. If everything feels alright, try to give it a go.

Coming out to your crush could have a benefit: you might be able to start moving on from you crush, should he say something about himself that indicates that he is straight. At the same time, it might also bring the two closer together (friendship wise) because sharing such a personal things about yourself, shows how much you trust him.

Alternatively, is there a youth support group in your area, or in town that you could join first?

Give it some thought, and weigh all the options. Pick the one you feel most comfortable with. :slight_smile:

6. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live in a small, rural town so the people generally dislike homosexuals. No support groups here. Im going to try and bring up LGBT things with him, and see how he responds. If I get him safe and alone, Im telling him Im gay. I'll keep this updated.