1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I come out to first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prussianblue100, May 28, 2014.

1. prussianblue100

Okay, so I'm a lesbian. I thought I was bi at first, but that's a story for another day. Anyway, I'm not sure who I should come out to. I just got promoted to the ninth grade and I'm going to be in high school in three months. I'm staying in contact with a close friend from middle school, and I'm going to see a lot of friends from grade school, the majority of them being girls. I even made a goal on a blog entry that I would come out to at least one person during freshmen year. The issue is: Who should I come out to first?

Every article I have read involving coming out to friends first, but unlike most sisters, I am really close with mine. She is almost two years older than me and one year ahead of me in school and though we curse each other out (jokingly), I love her to death. Besides, I don't want to be bullied in high school and not be able to tell my family why. In grade school, it was sucking my thumb. In middle school, it was anime (I was sticking up for a friend in a way, mind you). I don't want people talking bullshit to me again. Anime? Yeah, go ahead. Whatever. I'm prepared for that. But not because I like girls. And I don't want my friends to assume I'm all over them either.

I am definitely saving my parents for last, but I need some help on who to tell first. Thank you! :smilewave

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you've answered your own question here;

Every article I have read involving coming out to friends first, but unlike most sisters, I am really close with mine.

Sounds like you know who you want to tell.

3. Tetra

I 100% agree with Holly. Tell your sister first. That way you have a shoulder to lean on as you come out to everyone else.

4. prussianblue100

Okay, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. LOL. :grin:

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doing it right is however you want to do it.

You don't owe it to anyone to come out first, you don't ever have to expressly tell people if you don't want to. This is your news and your life, and however you choose to do it is the 'right' way!(*hug*)

6. prussianblue100

Alright. I feel a little better now. I'm still a little nervous about telling someone, but I can wait until I'm ready.