1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you send a card?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Clark314159, May 28, 2014.

1. Clark314159

So my cousins coming out to his family. I think it's been hard for him and I would like to do something to show my support. At the same time I feel sort of weird sending a card which says, "congrats for choosing to oppose society's blatent homophobia and be honest with your friends and family". Any advice on what to do?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While a card might be an odd format for it, the thought is a pretty good one.

Messages of support from people mean the world, especially when you KNOW they put thought into it...it might seem weird to do it (and depending on what card you sent, it certainly COULD be) but I bet he's appreciate it a hell of a lot.

If a card DOES feel too weird though, go with a letter ;D

3. Hyaline

Maybe a card that says "congratulations for finding the courage to live honestly and openly".. A hand written note or card would be a wonderful gesture..

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're hard set on sending a card, you can say something along the lines of, "I'm very proud of you for telling people who you really are. You have my support if you ever need it. Love, -name"

That's how I'd word it. Sending cards is awesome.

As for the actual card, just get a nice-looking one with a blank inside so that you can write your own heart-felt message.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Somebody should tell Hallmark that they have a new "Hallmark Holiday" to create a special card for. No, I am not kidding; they could time the release with National Coming Out Day and do an ad telling people how important coming out is to gay people, and that it is appropriate to show your support to a friend or family member who comes out to you instead of being bewildered about how to respond. It gives them something specific to say when they don't know exactly what to say, which is sort of what printed cards with artfully written verse inside do for tongue-tied awkward people.

Clark, I also think sending a generic "Congratulations" sort of card would be a nice gesture, with your own message inside expressing your support and best wishes.

6. Clark314159

I'm totally open to other ideas for showing support. I live a ways away. Any ideas would be a great help.

---------- Post added 28th May 2014 at 04:48 PM ----------

Thanks for all the feedback above, hallmark should have a holiday!

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would agree with TJ's wording. More than your congratulations, your show of support will be great.

Also, one thing that always made me feel very happy while being in the closet was hearing or seeing my straight friends/cousins do something supportive, even as simple as changing their profile photo to the red equals sign or sharing a link.

Here's a great brochure by Human Rights Campaign on being a supporter:
    http://hrc-assets.s3-website-us-eas...es/assets/resources/SupporterGuide_042014.pdf

8. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, your wording did make me laugh, Clark, love it :lol:
    And what a sweet thought, a card is or letter is.
    I'm sure it'll be huge to your cousin, knowing he has your support.