1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my best friend last night... Kind of

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Closet88, May 28, 2014.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I went for drinks with my friend last night, just the 2 of us, and there were a couple of girls who came over to speak to us. My friend said I should make a move on one of them as he has a girlfriend. I said I didn't want to so he was like "what is wrong with you? Are you gay?" I just replied "yeah I am" and he just laughed and said "I knew it." I then kept saying I am gay but laughed as I was saying it. I said it several times and said I'm not lying. My friend just laughed and thought it was a joke. So yeah, I came quite close to actually coming out, even though he didn't believe me! Has anyone else experienced a reaction like this before?

I am planning on actually coming out to him at some point in the next week or so but obviously am very nervous! I will keep you all posted :slight_smile:.

2. prussianblue100

Well, I wouldn't know. I mean, I don't drink and I haven't come out. Anyway, I think you should ask your friend to come with you to somewhere private. Tell him that you are serious about your sexual orientation. It's alright if he doesn't believe you right away. Let him ask questions and make sure he doesn't tell anyone without your permission. You might also have to know that you're not interested in HIM in that way, as he might assume that.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Hyaline

A follow up text saying "You do realize I wasn't kidding about what I said last night" if you are having trouble finding the courage to say it out loud again.

I certainly think clarifying is in order if you do want to confirm for him for sure...

4. Aaron82

Aaron82 Guest

Call him, and tell you are not joking. Or, to prove take him to gay pub or something like that.