1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's a secret...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prussianblue100, May 28, 2014.

1. prussianblue100

I know I have made a post like this before, but I just couldn't wait. I am thirteen and a lesbian and going to high school after summer break. I am planning to tell my older sister during freshmen year or maybe even during this break if I feel brave. Then, I'm moving on to my friends and then bros and then my parents.

There's one problem. My family is sorta close with the exception of my twenty one year old brother (who is still living in the house). I'm terrified of her telling everyone before I'm ready. I mean, I know that that probably won't happen, but I'm still scared. I just see her either shouting that I'm gay unintentionally loud to everyone and them all hearing or her just accidentally telling someone or her friends. I'm kinda scared. I wish I could trust her and there were no secrets between us, but I don't know. It just sounds so hard. I could use some help. :help:

Thank you to everyone who posts.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She'll probably understand that keeping this a secret is important, and she'll probably just naturally be careful to keep your secret. Still, to be safe, just be sure to emphasize to her that it's really important to you that she not tell anyone. With something like this, I doubt she'll have much trouble remembering to keep it quiet.

Good luck!

3. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe I'm writing this because I'm a mum, or maybe because of my whole 'thing', or maybe because experience has taught me a lot.
    And maybe you'll think its outrageously dumb of me, due to all the things I've said above, plus the fact that next to you I'm a thousand years old :slight_smile: But here goes anyway:
    Do you think there is anyway possible that you could perhaps tell your family all at once, or your mum (or dad) first? Many times as parents, we can understand and accept far more than you expect us to.
    Now, I don't know her (or him) of course, and each person's different, but as a mum, I would hate to be the last to know something important like this. I'd want to have the chance to support my child, even if it took me a little time to adjust to the idea.I love them, the way most parents do, and, whether I liked it or not, would just want them to be happy.
    (I personally wouldn't have found it at all confronting, but I know thats not everyone).
    In the end, no matter how anyone takes it, no one can stop you being gay. Its your birthright, but perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult - no secrets to be afraid of - if, at least your mum (or your dad) knew first.
    Just a little idea for you to perhaps think about before you take the big leap. Whatever you decide to do, very best of luck
    :slight_smile:

4. prussianblue100

I just learned how to quote things! Yay! (!)

Okay. Thank you. Yeah, this would be pretty hard to forget. LOL.

Hmm...Never thought about telling my mom first. She has gone through a divorce and worked really hard for us. Plus, she is okay with gays, so she just might understand. I just don't know how she would tell my Dad or how I would convince her not to tell my siblings yet. I guess I'll think about which family member to tell first, but I know it's gonna be my mom and my sis. Thanks for your advice.