1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im terrified.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by falcenav, May 29, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im on the verge of coming out, and Im terrified.

Id be coming out to a friend that has stood up for me in the past and is trustworthy. But im terrified. What if he tells everyone? If he makes fun of me?

Any tips to help my anxious thoughts?

2. RvP

RvP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i wouldnt want to tell anyone if they mock you or say your gay. That means they might not take you serious and tell.

i wouldnt tell anyone if they made fun of gays or use it as a everyday slang word.

i had the same problem too. i was scared to tell my friend who stood up for me and is trustworthy. he said he didn't care if i was gay and that we are still friends. Sure they might tease you saying "whats up gayboy!" but i wouldn't think that they would truly mean that to hurt you. If you are telling your friend be serious and act serious it changes their attitude and makes them follow and listen. If your friend doesnt like you at all because your gay then hes not a true friend ( cliche right?) but btw dont be scared it will bring down your self confidence more. hope this helps.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's a good friend, he would never make fun of you for that, and based on the way you described him, he sounds like a good friend to me. Someone who stands up for you and is trustworthy is not the sort of person who's going to make fun of you when you come out to him.

If you're worried about him telling people, just make sure to tell him that it's very important to you that he not tell other people. That way, he'll know that it matters to you that he keep it secret, and since he's a trustworthy friend, and it's an important secret, I'm sure he'll have no trouble keeping quiet.

I got really scared before coming out the first time, even though I knew the friend I was telling would take it well. I kept coming up with worst case scenarios of how she might react, but none of the things I had been worrying about happened, and it went really well. It's normal to be anxious, but just remember that you're coming out to him because he's someone you trust. A trustworthy friend is not going to make fun of you, and he's not going to tell your secret.

Try not to worry about it too much. I'm sure it'll go great :slight_smile: And good luck!