1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Do? I HATE MY LIFE..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zachary825, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Zachary825

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi people.
    My name is Zack and I really need advice on things..
    Well I hate being gay. I hate it even more because of how the community views "us". It is really a shame that I am gay because my life is a piece of crap. I mean it really can’t get any worse for me. My mom’s a druggy, dad lives with his mom(I live with them), he’s also a piece of crap, I think I’m kind of ugly, my penis is tiny, and on top of that my penis is weird looking with a weird patch of skin on it. My life is really bad. I have none really. I mean I hardly go outside because I am really shy.. scared and everything. The computer is all I basically do and TV of course :slight_smile:. But I do have friends in school. But the other day my g-mom who I live with and love said, "Don’t you like girls?" Well, I really don't. I like them as friends, but nothing more. I just said yea but the girls around here are all pigs. But I can’t tell her or my dad that I'm gay. I mean they will be so upset. They HATE the idea of gay. When they mention it off of TV or something, they get like ewww. I just can't imagine telling them that I-out of all people-am gay. Everyone assumes you are straight. I act straight in school because everyone else is straight. I don't even talk on the phone because I think I sound like a girl. It really is bs. If I told my dad, wow, I bet id be kicked out of the house, and I have nowhere to go.. I mean no friends to go to. And I go nowhere. Me and my dad just are close but he’s just a true idiot. Nobody has a car.. I only go out to go shopping a block away and it’s been that way for years. I’ve never been really anywhere except one amusement park, which was fun. It’s sad.. Pitiful really.. I just HATE BEING GAY. It really isn't fair for any of us. I mean.. it really isn't fair for me either! It really can’t get MUCH worse for me on top of the other things I said previously. But if maybe if I wasn't shy or scared I wouldn't mind. But it is really crap though. I also think I will be a virgin forever/never have a relationship. This is all really depressing; it makes me want to kill myself. Actually I tried once taking 10 pills, but it seems it wasn't enough. How did all of your family/friends/relatives react when you told them, or if you told them? What do you recommend I do? Wait? I don't know.. I don't even really know what I’m asking from you.. I just had to tell this.
    Thanks for reading,
    Zack
    And I am 15 years old.

#1 Zachary825, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Sorry that your so unhappy about your life at that age.. I was like that too around your your age, the only thing that helped me was getting my job, I was really shy, still shy now but not as much, the job helped me with my shyness, plus the cash :], I wish i could give some advice but.. Im no good at that. btw why's your dad's a piece of crap?? i dunoo but i found that funny ~_~

3. Helen

Helen Guest

If I were my ex, I'd say to me that there's no way I could help you because I'm a spoilt little brat who everything is going right for. But I'll try my best to help you :slight_smile:

You should never hate being gay, it's not exactly something you can control, or a choice, or anything. It's a part of you, you shouldn't hate it :frowning2: And everyone assumes you're straight unless you give them reason to think otherwise, so you shouldn't start pressurizing yourself about that, just do what you're comfortable with, or what you think you can risk in school, tbh it's not that important.

As for your family, well you ask at the bottom how our families reacted, (though I personally think it's an easier time for bisexuals because we still like 'who we're supposed to like'), but my best friend (who's also on this site, she's called heatqueen) told her mum, and her mum was in denial about it for a very long time, but eventually accepted it and showed her daughter that she still loved her. You say you're close with your family, so chances are they'll probably still love you, they're not going to abandon a member of their own family just because they're a little bit different.

Something I do know is this: IT WILL GET BETTER. Don't even think about ending it all now. You're not going to spend your whole life where you are now, things will get so much better for you once you're grown up and able to go wherever you want. I highly doubt you'll be a virgin forever or never have a relationship, I think that about myself every single day. But people always tell me that things will be better once I've moved out of Dubai.

Also, this site is going to be loads of help for you ^_^ There are people just like you, who are going through similar things (maybe not exactly the same, but who knows, maybe a few of them put together might make your exact situation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and we're all here for you. Do try and cheer up, all you have to do is wait until the crap years end, and your life REALLY begins. It'll happen eventually, honestly. I'm waiting for the same thing.

Helen
    xox

4. Zachary825

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol well my dad is cool atm but he has times where he takes lots of pills and gets funny and buys drugs and stuff.. but now he is good lol

EDIT:
    Thanks for the advice.. Yea hopefully GOOD years will come and these years will end.. yea this site seems cool im gonna start gettin into it:slight_smile: thanks.

#4 Zachary825, Aug 14, 2008
  5. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yeahh thats True!, its happening kinda for me now, never thought I'd happen ^_^

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Why does he need to take pils and drugs?

7. Zachary825

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well he is disabled kinda(not bad like wheelchair) but he over takes prescription drugs and acts dumb and yes lol. always borrows money and all that

8. EthanS

EthanS Guest

O... i see what you mean by piece of crap lol.. is he addicted to em?

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Zack. I'm Lex. I'm 38. :slight_smile:

Wow, you got a lot going on. There's a lot of stories and issues, and they're sort of intertwined in such a way that it's tough to know even where the best spot to start is. Let's start in an obvious spot - your sexuality.

So you're gay. That's fine. The problem isn't so much your homosexuality - many many people live great happy lives as out homosexuals - but the situation you're in. It's like if you weren't any good at sports, but your parents were people who tried to make you a sports star. Ordinarily, being no good at sports wouldn't be much of a problem, but it would be if you had sports-obsessed parents. So it kinda sucks that you're gay at the moment, NOT because being gay sucks, but because you're in a spot where being gay wouldn't be welcome. Do try to keep that distinction in mind. You can hate the fact that you're in this position, but try not to hate the sheer fact that you're a homosexual. Eventually, you'll see that being gay isn't such a burden after all.

Next up, your family situation. Yeah, I wouldn't bother telling your family about your sexuality. There doesn't appear to be anything to be gained by doing so, and there may be a lot to lose. You don't have to lie to your father and grandmother, but you can refrain from mentioning. It's amazing how much mileage you can get with shrugs and "whatever"s. :slight_smile:

"Acting straight". Well, how much is an act, really? In high school, there's a lot of "acting" going on. Unless you think people are born using the slang you use. :slight_smile: We all tend to alter our behavior a bit in an effort to "fit in", and that's especially true during the teen years. You'll notice that your schoolmates do tend to look alike. They seem to have one of three or four hairstyles. They dress in identifiable ways. That's part of the "attempting to fit in" thing that's common in high school.

This isn't meant to justify "acting straight" so much as to give a context to it. There's a reason people do it, and it's not simply a "gay thing". Even straight kids wonder if they're "acting too gay" from time to time. Try not to fret too much about your motivations. If you want to talk a bit deeper on the phone, do it. If you'd rather "just let the words come", do that, too. Most people aren't gonna care (or even notice).

As far as your social life is going, well, if you don't have one, go get one. Summer's kind of a bit along, so it may be a bit late in the game to do something for this summer. But think ahead to the school year. What are some activities you might want to get involved in? Is there a sport you like playing? Not necessarily are good at, but enjoy? I used to suck at volleyball (still do, now that I think about it), but I liked playing, so I did some intermural volleball during the school year. Anything artistic you might want to try? Martial arts? Chess club? Do some digging, find out what sorts of activities are available - both connected with your school and separately - and look into joining them. Also, work on establishing some more friends/relationships at school. I'd go into pointers on that, but this post is already gonna be hellaciously long. I'll just say to keep one thing in mind - the way to make a friend is to be a friend. :slight_smile:

And last up, your penis. First off, at age 15, it's likely that isn't done growing yet. Mine grew quite a bit even after I turned 18. Even if it is done growing, that isn't going to mean a damn thing. I've had sex with a guy with a huge dick, and with a guy with a small one. The guy with the huge dick was the worst lover I've ever had, and the guy with the small one was the best I ever had. :slight_smile: Your size isn't gonna matter one way or the other, when all is said and done.

You do have a lot on your plate, no question. But you're not doomed to a horrible life. You'll come out OK. And we're here to help when you need it. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Zachary825

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes. since late 80s when he first started em.

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Something tells me you don't hate the being gay part of it, but that you hate all the baggage that comes with it. That's understandable - we get more hate and intolerance than most other minorities in the world. There's nothing wrong with being angry at how terrible some people can be.

Not everyone hates us. There are a LOT of organizations dedicated to improving our circumstances, more than you might think, it's just that the anti-gay demonstrators are often louder. Trust me, your life could always get worse. Being gay might seem like an extra burden right now, but you can't blame an inherent trait for all of your problems.

Mostly things you can't help. It's only three more years until you start living on your own, maybe that will give you something to look forward to. Try not to compare your life and your self-image to other people.

Yes, you do have a life. It might not be the same as everyone else's, but you still have one. Different people socialize in different ways, you don't have to go to parties and afterschool stuff to be active. And sometimes school friends can be the most important allies, remember that.

So don't - for now at least. Don't feel like you have to come out to everyone right away. If you're not comfortable telling certain people, no one is forcing you. Take it at your own pace, and do it when you're ready. No sooner.

Acting straight, as in acting masculine? Don't live a stereotype. Act yourself no matter who you are, and the benefits will outweigh the rest. You don't have to swing your hips and wear makeup to "fit the part" of being gay, but you don't have to disguise yourself either.

So then don't tell him. If you rely on your parents for financial support, you probably shouldn't tell them until you're comfortably living on your own. Again, don't rush it.

No, sometimes it isn't fair how much crap we get for something none of us can help, but hang in there. There are some plusses if you can believe that, and it's not your fault you were born differently. You didn't get your choices laid out, none of us did. You're being hard on yourself.

There's a match for everyone. No matter how socially awkward or unattractive you think you are, there is someone who likes you. Sometimes it takes a while to find them, but it doesn't take that much effort if you're willing to put a little forth. We're still young, remember that - there are more pressing matters at this age than forming relationships. Anything made now probably won't be around in a year or so; don't try and force youself into the dating scene.

I'm not a psychologist and I'm not trained to handle suicide attempts, but I can at least say don't try it again. No matter how bad it seems, there are good things still out there. Life is worth living if not just for curiosity. Bad times pass by eventually, but if you ended it now, think of all the great things you would never get to experience. Hold on for a few more years and try your hardest to work up some interest in things, I promise there's something or someone out there that will give you motivation to keep going.

I can't help much with this since I'm not out to my family, but I've already given my suggestions earlier. If you're not ready to come out, don't, simple as that.

12. EthanS

EthanS Guest

20's?? Guess he's hooked on em then, does he ask you for money??

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa, problems overload. I'm breaking this down a bit.
    There are two stages of coming out. First you need to come out to yourself and admit that, and you also need to accept it. Your sexuality is one of the most important things in your life so it's never going to be a simple "Oh, I'm gay. How fun" moment. You have grown up in a heterosexual environment and are probably completely unaware about how the gay lifestyle works. Most of what you have heard is probably based on nothing but stereotypes which are all completely untrue. There is a mix of people in all groups, homosexuals included. Some conform to the flamboyant stereotype, others you wouldn't expect to be gay even if you saw them kissing somebody of the same-sex.

You can't expect to accept it straight away. I'm not saying it's not possible, but just because you can't doesn't mean you should hate being gay and want to be different. It's not easy but nothing in life is. I would bet that your dislike for being gay is nothing more than fear of not knowing anything about being gay and how to live with it. Plenty of people on here can help you with problems so that you can accept your sexuality and not feel the need to hide away from everybody. You are who you are. Learn how to live with it rather than try and hide from it.

The family situation is unfortunate, but it's not about them. You can't help who you are so if they can't accept it then they don't deserve you. It will look hard now simply because you can't accept your sexuality yourself right now. How can you expect them to understand it when you don't? Once you have finally got used to the idea then you'll start coming round to the possibility of telling others and not feeling like an outcast. Right now you need to helping yourself rather than worrying about how other people will take it.
    Most people have probably thought that about their penis. At 15 you're still young and there is still time to grow. You're also looking down at it from an angle that naturally makes it appear to be smaller than it is. If you're really that concerned then you could either see a doctor or measure it and look to see if it's average for your age. If something appears to be wrong then it's best seeing a doctor to make sure you're not having any growth or hormone problems.

I'm not a fan of the outdoors either. I can only be around people for so long before I get bored of them and become irritated. If I can't trust them I have no interest in spending my time around them. Just because you hardly go outside does not mean that you are destined to be alone forever and will be seen as a social reject, it just means you prefer being indoors for one reason or another. If you're anything like me then your personal space will be big. It's good being alone at times so that we can think things through and let our minds wander. It's hard to do when you're distracted by the company of others.

That is sadly how society works. Being a heterosexual is the social norm simply because it's the majority, and one disadvantage of that is people assuming you are straight. Similar to how we would assume that people at a gay pride parade are gay. It's not necessarily the case but we have the judgements of people.

How they react may surprise you. Right now you're not fully understanding just how to live and deal with your sexuality, but once you have accepted it and are confident enough to tell them you may find that they will react better. It's very easy to say things about people on TV in the spare of the moment, but when it affects them they may show a side you won't expect. If you can show them that you're happy that way and are not going to let them change you then there is nothing they can do. There are certain consequences if things go wrong but that could happen with anything. Right now it's not worth worrying about.

Hmmm, shopping and amusement parks shouldn't really be making you hate your sexuality any more. They're completely irrelevant to it. There are also plenty of worse scenarios to be in.

This itself is yet another big step. You can't be thinking about having sex and getting into relationships when you don't understand your sexuality. This is why it all sounds so unlikely to you. Most people have probably felt that way, but relationships just happen. Sometimes they come up and slap you in the face like a wet fish while other times you build up to one and you find it great. There is no way to know when you will have one and there is nothing anybody can say or do to help ease this problem. You have more important things to be concentrating on right now than relationships. In this current state I couldn't see one lasting very long. It needs to be a full commitment, something you cannot give while you're not 100% secure.

As for the sex, you're 15. The media has this vision that all kids are having sex. They're not. Infact the majority of people your age won't have had sex. There is nothing shameful about being a virgin when going out with somebody, and there is nothing better than knowing somebody has saved themselves for you. That is how you know they have ultimate trust in you when they're willing to go to that level of commitment.

Killing yourself never solves anything. I'm a slight hypocrit because at the first sign of emotional stress this is one of the things I shout, but I never will actually go through with it. Right now it may not look like the future is bright, but there is only so far down you can go before things do have to pick up. It's no wonder everything looks doom and gloom for you when you're so unsure about how you will cope with your sexuality. Never do anything silly like that again, seriously. There is a solution to every problem and you're going to end your life on nothing but a really bad low. You will also ruin the life of everybody around you who cares for you.

Learning how to live with your sexuality isn't easy, but it's a lot easier than coping with the death of a family member. Even just be regularly hanging round here your confidence and understanding of being gay will shoot up and you'll realise that the world is not like your family. There wil always be narrow minded people, but the people who aren't like that are the ones worth living for.

I can't tell you much about coming out to my family due to it not happening, but I will tell you that it's most likely going to be soon. Last November I would never have thought about coming out until I was old enough to not reply on my parents, but hanging around here has made me realise that there is no excuse for homophobia and any disagreement my dad shouts at me I will be easily able to throw back at him. There is no real reason for disliking gay people, and once you have learnt this you will be able to tackle any abuse or discrimination people throw at you. I expect my dad will react badly, but thanks to EC I am more than prepared to deal with his backlash. If that does not show that I am happy and accepting with how I am then nothing ever will. You just need the time and patience to get to that level and then nothing will be able to hold you back.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, hi and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I am sorry that you feel this way. Please don't harm yourself. Harming yourself is not the answer. Please talk to people about your feelings and worries. You already have taken one step in that direction and I encourage you to continue doing so. You have your entire life ahead of you.

You have mentioned quite a few things that are going on, and it sounds like that you are overwhelmed with all of it. All of the feelings and thoughts that you have mentioned are related. I think what might help is if you try to start changing one thing at a time.

Start with self-confidence and how you see yourself. No one is ugly. We are all unique individuals with our own qualities. Try to build up some self-worth and self-esteem which will allow you to see yourself differently. Try to do the things that you like doing and that help you to reaffirm that you are great at things and that give you some sense of pride. With time, you will start liking and eventually loving yourself for who you are which no one can take away from you. The same goes for your body. Try to accept it for what it is. Try to stand in front of a mirror and try to tell yourself out loud that I like myself the way I am and there is noting wrong with that.

Building up some self-confidence and self-esteem might also help you to become less shy towards others. Often we are shy because we lack the confidence in being ourselves and being afraid of saying the wrong things. I am sure you have tons of great qualities in you, that want to get out. With building some self-esteem and confidence you will be able to communicate those great qualities to others. Try to be yourself as much as possible.

Once you have started to like yourself for who you are, it will also allow you to start accepting your sexual identity a lot better and realize that there is nothing wrong with being gay. It is a natural part of you.

There are lot of things that are happening within you at the moment that lead you perhaps to have these feelings about your sexual orientation. But this is a normal part of the experience. There is a part of your body that has started to accept it but then there is this other part that is rebelling against it because of the environment and surroundings in which you find yourself in. However, as you become more comfortable with yourself and figure everything out, the inner homophobia that you are experiencing will subside gradually. It will take time, but if you take it slow and allow yourself to experience all the feelings that you are experiencing you will get a different perspective on things.

Once you have crossed the bridge of self-acceptance, you can start thinking about coming out to others. You have mentioned that you have friends at school. If they are good friends and you can trust them and you know that they will be supportive and accepting, you can try coming out to them at first which will help you to build up confidence and the strength to come out to your parents at a later stage. It does happen that parents show at first some homophobic tendencies, but upon learning that they own child is gay, they change their perspective and view points. For some it might take longer to come around to it, but eventually they will. Remember that deep down your parents and the people that are important in your life will always love you. No matter what.

But don't worry about this step yet. Try not to think about it at this stage. First try to build up some self-esteem and self-worth. You can do it.

What might also help, try seeing a counselor at school. Often when we talk about our inner feelings and we hear ourself we start to understand them better. We can make sense of them and get to the bottom of it as to what it all means.

We are here for you. We will help you in your journey. If you ever need to talk or vent please feel free to pm any of the five EC advisors (biisme, biloved86, Lexington, MeskElil or myself). You can do so, by clicking on our user names and select "send pm to".

No worries, things will get better.

I hope this helps a bit.

#14 Mirko, Aug 14, 2008
  15. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only been here for 2 days, but have found this forum to be a huge help, hopefully you will find the same.

It seems like many fathers are just impossible to get along with. My father is an alcoholic. From when I was 12 until 21, we almost never spoke, and any time we did it was a big fight. But, things can and did get better. There were times I thought of suicide, but thankfully got through it. Just this past year, we have been getting along better than any time I can remember. Just remember, drug and alcohol abuse is a sickness, but you can get through it, and hopefully help him get through it too.

Michael

16. Derek the Wolf

If there's one piece of advice I can give you, it's this: don't blame yourself for a part of you that you don't like. Sometimes it's difficult being different. Try not to think of it as a curse. As you start telling a few people, then a few more, then you're goign to feel better. You'll start accepting yourself for who you are. Nobody has control over who they are in their lifetime, all we can do is make the best of it. You were given a unique set of circumstances, which could make your life more difficult. So what? You can still find love, you can still have friends, and you can still have a family. Have an optimistic approach, even if that's not your normal way of doing things.
    I know how devestating a suicide/attempted suicide can be. I personally do not recommend it. You always have something, or someone, to live for. Your life is always valued, and you should never think of it any other way. I don't know how your parents feel about homosexuality, but I know they love their son. They may be upset or shocked to find out you're gay, but that doesn't compare to losing you. You won't lose their love when they find out you're gay, no matter how they react.
    Not everyone has a positive experience with their sexuality. It may be a bumpy road. Don't ever lose hope. Hope for love, hope for life.

17. xxAngelOnFirexx

feel free to talk to me about suicidal thoughts. i've been there. i've tried eveything. but i also found that suicide isn't really make ur like better it just gives you scars when you fail and can make you really sick. also it destroys friends and family. i've overcome my suicidal thoughts so i know what its like going through things like that.

18. silentsound

Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread because others have given all the advice I would have thought of. That is until I saw that you are writing from Philadelphia, so samsies, I am also in that general area. I live further out of the city over where you could just as well be in New Jersey, but the first person I came out to lives nearer to the city (Elkins Park I believe... not too sure) Anyway, if you are in Philly she told me about a place called The Attic which is a support area for LGBT teens, so you could try looking that up as a place for support. That may or may not be helpful, but regardless, I also encourage you to keep talking on EC. This place definitely helped me learn to accept myself better and more completely, and is always here to catch me when I start to slip. Keep talking here, because if anything it will show you that you're not alone in this. You may be surprised at how much being here helps. I wish you the best, I'm sure it will get better honey <3

you can check out the attic here http://www.atticyouthcenter.org/
    I hope this helps!

#18 silentsound, Aug 14, 2008
  19. Gumtree

EthanS if this were real life I would bite you on the weinus right now.

I just spent the last 40 seconds trying to flick a bug off my screen that doesn't exist!

Back on topic.

There have been many great suggestions. Everyone has problems with family and friend sometime in there life, we all deal with it in a different way, a lot depends on how much we know about them and ourselves, the kind of place we live in and how strong we are. Try and figure out what's best for you before you go taking people advise and 'doing' it.

Although I do have a suggestion, when I was coming out last year in Highschool (when i was 15) I had a lot of trouble doing so at first because I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of coming out to my current friends. So I sort out a few new friends whom i KNEW as a matter of fact were fine with it. I hate to be so stereotypical but at my school, I sat with the 'popular' girls (that was suspect enough lol) but when I felt like coming out, I kind of befriended the group that people kind of considered 'Hippies' because I KNEW they would be accepting, supporting and kind friends. I became close to them and came out to them slowly and things went well. I only had to confidence to come out because I already KNEW they were fine with it. :slight_smile: These new friends helped me heaps in many ways, not just in coming out as a homosexual but they really boosted my social life and got me out of the house a lot more just because it was so much nicer to be out and about with people I could be myself around. I became more confident, gained many social skills and ultimately, began my coming out proccess. :slight_smile:

Good luck.

20. Oh my goodness! You poor dear :icon_sad:

Please don't think all those negative things about yourself! You have to have confidence in yourself, believe in what is right for you and shoot for the stars.
    You'll come to accept being gay. It's a period (as mentioned above) we all go through.
    You won't be stuck with the people who don't accept you forever. Times will change. Remember, sometimes, if/when we lose everything, the only thing they can never take away is hope.

You will find this place very friendly. Everyone here is kind and supportive. Trust me on that one, I was welcomed very warmly and helped by a lot of people. Don't ever forget you can log on here and let it all out.

Sorry about your family problems...just remember that each of us have our own problems through life. Nobody said it would be easy! I hope you feel better, and cheer up! Remember, confidence is key! :thumbsup: