1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my priest?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wuggums47, May 30, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Usually when I go to Mass I wear nice male clothes, and no female accessories. In confession I've confessed to lust directed towards men and women, so I'm sure he already knows. But I don't think he knows that I don't conform to binary gender, and that I actually hate being called by the male pronouns everyone there calls me by. It tears me up knowing that the official stance of my faith is that gay people shouldn't be able to lead normal lives, and must be forced in to celibacy. If I told my priest, and he didn't accept me, I'm not sure how I could go back to that church. I'd have to become an Episcopalian or something. But at the same time, I know he is one of the best guys I know, and I feel like he probably won't say anything mean, and knowing he accepts me would mean the world to me. What should I do?

2. Clay

I assume he'll tell you what his faith tells him to. So presumably your advice will be live in celibacy.

But it's up to you. Personally I wouldn't go looking for LGBT support in the church.

3. Hyaline

Odds are, he will respond with whatever church doctrine is. Not sure that explaining it to him is going to make your life any easier. My suggestion it to find the GLBT+ support groups online for your church. They are out there. They might have better insight, but I suspect you are in a place where you are going to have a tough time. Switching denominations might be an option if that works for you. The Unitarian Universalist churches might be another option you can explore. I have found them to be very open to my faith (which is far more out of the mainstream than yours likely is).

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If I ever switched denominations, not saying I would, I would become Episcopal. They are basically just like Catholics, only they marry gay people and have female priests.