1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents want to believe I'm bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, May 30, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really want people to believe I'm bi. I usually make people believe I'm a picky and prudish straight girl. I'm out to my mom, but she believes that I'm bi.

I do enjoy looking at hot guys, but I've never enjoyed touching them or being in a relationship with them. I hate that I enjoy looking at hot guys because it gives people the wrong message. Maybe I truly am bi.

I was going through my dating profile with her and she wanted me to date both guys and girls. I don't really want to date guys right now.
    I never came out to my stepdad, but he thinks I "like it all".

2. mangotree

It's nice that your mum is trying to help you with your dating profile :slight_smile:
    Is she the kind of mum that unconsciously worries about her kids safety often?
    She probably thinks she's doing the right thing in trying to help you to have a "normal" life, free of discrimination. I'd say she just wants the best for you and doesn't have a frame of reference to work with so is doing it in an odd way.
    Sometimes it's a personal thing as well, maybe she doesn't like the thought of telling her friends about her daughter's girlfriend etc... just a thought...

Not sure how to make her stop thinking you're bi, maybe you'll have to wait till you've got a girlfriend for her to stop.
    How long ago did you tell her? Parents sometimes go through a denial/uneasy faze too (like some of us did in the beginning). My mum took a couple of years to stop worrying about me. It could just be a time thing, just try to be patient with her and don't give her any indication that you're likely to change (back?) to guys. E.g. I don't want to date guys 'right now'.

It sounds like you know who you are already, don't let outside sources take you back to confusion.

Peace be with you.

3. Najlen

Be patient with her. Just keep telling her you aren't interested in guys, and eventually she will realize that you mean it. I can see how frustrating it must be, and I'm sorry. Good luck!

4. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to her when I was fourteen, but I've been avoiding this subject. Even if I truly like guys, I know that I don't want to date them right now. I'm hoping that dating girls will make things clearer for me.