1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my family, or my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idk who i am, May 30, 2014.

1. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, I recently came to the conclusion that I am bisexual. I put a lot of thought into my decision, but this is the first time I have ever talked about it. I have 3 siblings and a girlfriend, too. I started going out with her last year, and I feel that I should tell my family and her about this somewhat soon. Who should I tell first?

2. Hyaline

Who you tell first is probably not something any of us can answer for you. It depends entirely on your motivation of why you want to "come out" as bi.

Do you think your GF is likely to take it as a mixed signal that you don't want to be with her anymore? Can she keep it to herself? What about if/when you break up?

As for your family, I would likely leave them until you cross the bridge where you might want to date a guy. But that is something you know better than strangers would know..

But we are here to help and offer advice if we can...

3. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I thought of that and I had an idea of what I would say because I do love her, but I also want to be truthful to her that I'm not straight. I guess I'll just wait to see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

4. Hyaline

Being honest is always the best course IMO. You just have to find the right time when you need to be honest. Sometimes it simply isn't the time. I would worry that she'd think you were telling her because you want to try dating guys or other girls...

If you do tell her, find a way to tell her where she feels safe that you and her are still ok..

Is there a chance that there is a guy you are interested in?

5. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sort of. I have been "checking out" a few guys in my class, but I think you're right. I'll wait a bit longer until it's the right time.

6. Hyaline

Just curious, is this the first time you've admitted this? If so, congrats on learning more about yourself.

7. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, it is the first time i actually accepted it, but I've given it a lot of thought in the past few months. Thanks again for the advice!

8. ljldhoneycutt

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm wondering the same thing. I do web programming so I don't interact with too many people at work but it is hard when they make certain jokes/remarks on the phone and skype.

9. You can always tell them if you're ready and feel like it's safe and right for you to do so. Any time you feel like you need or want to come out is the best time for you to do it. None of us can really tell you when that is, but sticking around EC can help you figure it out!

10. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I do go on the computer a lot, so I'm not ALL that social, but I'm also a really good actor and liar so nobody really knows. I can't really relate to the skype remarks because all my friends are generally nice. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 10:07 PM ----------

I'm not sure if I'm completely ready to tell anybody just yet, but I definately will soon. Thanks for the support!:icon_bigg

11. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Update: I have decided that I will wait a few more weeks before I come out. Hopefully I'll be ready by then.

12. Hyaline

Take all the time you need. If there is nothing urgent pushing you to speak up, keep living your life and be happy.

Good luck and update us when things change.

13. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Update 2: I told my best friend about it and She said she was bi too. Or at least leaning towards it. She took it well and I feel a lot more comfortable about it. Yay for secret swapping!

14. idk who i am

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, so I just remembered a few key details in my story... My parents are getting divorced and i have two brothers and a sister. I know that I'm going to tell th eventually, but I'm not sure when.... I know that nobody but me can make that decision, but I just wanted to get that out.